DJ Insurance

- open
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

DJ Insurance

Post by jackbrazzo »

Guys

I just wonder if you have ever taken out a form of DJ insurance. Basically I like many others are taking about 2K of stuff out with me every time I play. I had an incident last week where someone almost poured a glass of vino over my MAC.

Can anyone point me in he right direction? I guess I need something like a comprehensive contents insurance that covers outside the home?

JB
souat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: DJ Insurance

Post by souat »

try vinyls
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

You can get music instrument insurance that is modernised to cover laptops etc. Google and find the best prices and least shadey.

I gave up on insurance for my studio after I worked out that over my lifetime I'd pay 2 or 3 times the value of the gear to insure it, and I absolutely don't trust insurance companies... their whole business is to make a profit. I found the most trustworthy people I could find and after they sent me some letters to subtly intimidate me into getting covered I thought fck em.

Anyways my plan is to sh!t my pants about taking my gear out, and do everything possible to only play places where the audience and organisers are sound.
tcburnell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tcburnell »

I use Allianz DJ insurance. Reputable company and pretty cheap too. I pay about £3 per month with about 2k of stuff covered. There is a £50 excess on most and £100 on laptops. I have never had to claim (thankfully) so I can't tell you how they are on that side but here is their website - http://www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.u ... urance.asp
wide eyed techno casualty!
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

try vinyls
Irony of that is a record box full of 80 vinyls is near enough 700 GBP, plus phones, needles etc.

Thanks for the helpful replies TC and O. :D
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

just wanted I wanted - again thanks.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

oblioblioblio wrote:You can get music instrument insurance that is modernised to cover laptops etc. Google and find the best prices and least shadey.

I gave up on insurance for my studio after I worked out that over my lifetime I'd pay 2 or 3 times the value of the gear to insure it, and I absolutely don't trust insurance companies... their whole business is to make a profit. I found the most trustworthy people I could find and after they sent me some letters to subtly intimidate me into getting covered I thought fck em.

Anyways my plan is to sh!t my pants about taking my gear out, and do everything possible to only play places where the audience and organisers are sound.
over your lifetime... ????
so your pro:rating it based on your assumption of life expectancy? haha :)
j/king..

ummm for my home/condo insurance I pay $170 US for about $25k to 35k worth of stuff..
well wroth it. try calling insurance companies. really good idea really... can't hurt.

p.s. do you file taxes, and/or have your own company? you can get a standard D.B.A : doing business as, here in the states, and even claim your insurance expense off as a tax right off, and even show losses.. which 90% of businesses do the first few years..
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

John Clees wrote:
over your lifetime... ????
so your pro:rating it based on your assumption of life expectancy? haha :)
j/king..

ummm for my home/condo insurance I pay $170 US for about $25k to 35k worth of stuff..
well wroth it. try calling insurance companies. really good idea really... can't hurt.

p.s. do you file taxes, and/or have your own company? you can get a standard D.B.A : doing business as, here in the states, and even claim your insurance expense off as a tax right off, and even show losses.. which 90% of businesses do the first few years..
I think I'm just being sensible and looking at the cost as an investment, like I do with all my music/gear purchases. I choose equipment that will hold it's value and look at it's cost not just as the initial outlay but look at cost of service/maintenence and it's resale value in the long term.

I've read stories about home insurance companies being very dicey about their value assessment of music instruments and treating them like ordinary replaceable consumer items, like replacing a TB303 with whatever cheap digital sampler roland are selling ATM. Also generally fucking people around for whatever reason they can get away with.

I also would need insurance that covered travelling which is where the costs add up.

I did all the research to start up my own company but in the end it didn't work out as being cost effective for theamount of PITA versus what I would save.