mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Levon Vincent speaks his mind

Post by Field »

on fb:
Worse two words in our business?
"Vinyl Only"
and in the comments:
I have never, ever said or advertised that Novel Sounds is Vinyl Only. I think other people say that. I also never limit releases to only 1000 copies or something, simply to make the prices higher on discogs. you want a digital? go to slsk where i upload them FOR FREE for anyone who wants them, the same day the record gets released. Help yourself!
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Levon Vincent speaks his mind

Post by breton »

What's the point of this thread?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

lol nice
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Has he published on digital all his back catalogue?

Loled @ him uploading his stuff on slsk. Mad respect to him. :lol:
Field
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Field »

breton wrote:What's the point of this thread?
I highly respect Levon and i think it's great that he calls out this marketing hype and although it's not the best way to distribute your digital work he puts his money where his mouth is by uploading his vinyl rips on slsk.

I recall that this community is a beehive of purists and headz so surely the point of this thread is creating awareness and of course a topic for discussion, no?
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Field wrote:I highly respect Levon and i think it's great that he calls out this marketing hype [...]
I recall that this community is a beehive of purists and headz so surely the point of this thread is creating awareness [...]
Alright then. It's just that the quotes you posted made it look like you were trying to provoke, rather than raise awareness...
There's another post of his, in which he explains the point of his original statement. You should've posted it as well. If your intention was to raise awareness that is...
Levon wrote:never bought or downloaded a digital file before, but I cant say I think making vinly is a marketing tool either. its just what I love personally, what I have played my whole life, and its my personal highest priority. giving the digital away free is not a diss, i just cant be bothered with legit digital distro because I work alone and indepentdantly. but ive never rubbed peoples faces in the fact, or pronounced that the release is better because its only on vinyl.. just irratated cuz im sitting here buying records this morning and it seems like every single one liner at the shops online says "vinyl only" as if that means "buy instantly" just let the music stand on its own merit you dont need to resort to any gimmics
Field
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Field »

breton wrote: You should've posted it as well.
True, it gives a better perspective on the vinyl only statement; i stand corrected. Thanks for the addition of the comment. Here is another:
Levon wrote:This talk of band camp etc. is interesting. I like things how they are and i feel i already have a succesfull business model, but i will investigate and consider it for the future. I'm open for growing! As long as i don't disrupt the progress of my label and carreer.. then it's good to experiment. Good ideas
I hope spreading his own work on slsk is an experiment then, because I can’t imagine helping it to progress his label.
Papa Bear
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Papa Bear »

Levon is the man. Always respected him, but now after reading this i do even more. "Vinyl only". Words cannot describe how much i hate this phrase. If i see a set on SC and it says "vinyl only" i don't listen to it out of principle, because the guy who wrote it is obviously an arrogant, self-obsessed dickwad. A lot of people prefer playing vinyl, and so do i. Playing vinyl feels great, no sh!t. But emphasizing it over and over again to make yourself look special is just cheap. It actually makes you look like a massive douche. Same with releasing your music. You wanna make it vinyl only? Great, go ahead, just shut up about it. Repeating the phrase "vinyl only" like a fucking parrot won't make your shitty music any better, you asstwat -frown 2 -frown 2 -frown 2