HELP! Bachelor Thesis Detroit Techno...

- open
Cali Can
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

HELP! Bachelor Thesis Detroit Techno...

Post by Cali Can »

Hello everybody!

I need some help with my Bachelor Thesis. The Topic is "Detroit Techno and the typical production style of that genre".
It's kinda hard to find out what the most relevant gear guys like Juan Atkins, Derrick May or Kevin Saunderson used in the beginning of the Detroit Techno era in the 80's. 909, 808 and 303 is obvious but can you maybe name some other synthesizers, drum machines or samplers that were mostly used at that time. If you know something, a source link would be amazing, too.
Thank you very much!
Peace
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: HELP! Bachelor Thesis Detroit Techno...

Post by tone-def »

Juan Atkins has used;

Korg MS10
Korg poly800
Sequential Circuits Pro One
Yamaha DX100
Akai S900
Ensoniq Mirage
Roland TR-909
Roland TR-808

http://www.mobeus.org/archives/juanatkins/
Last edited by tone-def on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

You'll probably have better luck asking there -
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/
http://www.vintagesynth.com
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Cali Can wrote:Hello everybody!

I need some help with my Bachelor Thesis. The Topic is "Detroit Techno and the typical production style of that genre".
I grew up listening to electrifying mojo (detroit dj who had complete freedom to play anything he wanted on air) when I was 7 years old. I would turn on my radio before I went to bed.. and was lucky to hear so much amazing music at such a young age. still... to this day....there has never been an on-air dj to play with complete freedom as he once did in the early 80's.. he without question had a huge influence on detroit, and also had a huge influence on myself as well.

he would play a lot of electro juan atkins stuff...that really shaped the sound of detroit and really programmed detroit subconsciously. style without question, originated from mostly electro in the early days...it wasn't 4 on 4... I would go even as far as saying some electro may have been considered techno actually.. so if your saying "style" I would really elaborate on juan atkins : electro influence on everything "detroit techno"..

1983 - case in point.. electro not 4 on 4 beats..

PERFECT example ... even the word "techno" is being used in this track "techno city"
but it's more electro sounding... it's not a 4 on 4 beat..

dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

@ cali can

if you need some good tips, and infos hit me via PM

i have enough for you
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

i can post sites about your question.

the typical detroit techno was influenced by mentioned electrifying mojo and Kraftwerk.

Detoit is often described as a dark, dirty, metallic and rough town. thats why often Detroit Artists place these terms along with their music. Detroit techno is raw, with samples from old disco records, vocal phrases synth pads, deep basses, sharp hats and sometimes a little fast (130 - 133BPM)

Besides the evolution of Detroit Techno the axis to Berlin (Basic Channel, Mark and Moritz) was very important.

most well known producers from nowadays started with only three or four machines. later they could afford better machines, desks, fx etc. mostyl they bought machines from pawnshops.

derrick may used a dx100 to death, jeff mills used a tg33, drexciya 808, a mks80, casio cz5000, shakir use only one K2000 synth/sampler today ( he dont like logic or maschine, he used sp12, several drummachines, Poly800 etc.)

Robert Hood use a typical sequencing method (use drummachines to trigger samplers and synths).

the main sequencer was mainly a atari st with cubase or notator, the MPC60 to 2000XL or any other hardware sequencer.

Theo Parrish used a SP1200 for his first records, later he used a mpc2000xl like moodyman (check RBMA Interviews).

main samplers are AKAI Samplers (s950 to S3000 etc.), MPCs Carl Craig used a MPC3000 a lot

main drums: 808, 909, Alesis hr16, 727, 707, 626, 606, BOSS DR550 , Roland R8 etc.

mixing desk: mackie 1604cr / vlz , soundcraft, soundtracs, tascam, etc. mostly old or used desks

cause of the limitation of their gear detroit is sometimes very minimalistic (hardware sequencing, direct recording to dat)

today they earned enogh money so that most the old guys have full blown studios (check kenny larkin, carl craig, etc.)

it is also necessary to seperate the generations of producers! the gear changed and the usage from it.

all these old synths were so cheap 18years ago. i`m buying a 909 now, under 1500€ its impossible to get a proper one.
Cali Can
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cali Can »

Thank you very very much for your fast and great answers! You have already helped me a lot! If you have more informations, feel free to share them with me. :)

Another question: What are the most typical Detroit Techno 909 tracks, most typical detroit techno 808 tracks and most typical detroit techno 303 tracks you have in mind?
The thing is, I have to write around 60 pages. I've already wrote about the history of the city and his sound itself, the "belleville three" and their musical style and main releases, the main influences like Kraftwerk,p-funk,mojo,Alvin Toffler and Russolo's noise sound and now I wanna write about the most important machines used in that era. My professor wants a basic explanation on the machines, for what you use them(drums and so on), in what tracks you can hear them and some pros and cons. As I've mentioned before, I have 60 pages to write and already have written over 20. So I have to pick out the really most important and relevant machines. For Drummachines I will pick the 808 and 909 which is pretty clear in my eyes, but when it comes to synthesizers....pfff there are so many important ones....so i'm asking you for your opinions on what the most important synths were at that time.

I will also compare the real 909 with the Drumazon Plug in. Does anybody already experienced both of it.?

Thank you thank you thank you! :)
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

if you want to dig up some dirt, find thomas barnett and ask him about "strings of life" and "nude photo."
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier