Lil Louis Scandel on RA

- open
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Lil Louis Scandel on RA

Post by simonb »

Themis wrote:i dont know what US DJs playing for, but for 500-1000 you get in europe only very unknown DJs. maybe if they live in your town but certainly not if they have to go on a plane.
A lot of good European DJs (i.e. the kind of people we're into here, obviously not your Villaloboses etc but decent underground house/techno guys) can be booked for 500-1000 euros.

That's not including flights etc but it's not true to say that you'd only get unknowns for that price. Pretty unlikely you'd get a house "legend" for 1000 euros/dollars/pounds of course but you know what I'm saying...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

thats what i meant with "unknown" = underground DJs.

it all depends on where your party is at.
if you party in berlin, you can book cheap underground Acts and your club will be full no matter what.

if you are in australia, and not everyone is into house music, travel costs for bringing artists are high - you go big or leave it.

if i know i have to pay 3000 € only to get the artist to my party, i rather add 3000 € for a big name and have many people, than book an underground artist for 500 € and chances are high the party is a flop.

cause underground means in many countrys unknown.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

A fucking indoor basketball court? Some of the riders these people ask for are hilarious.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Barfunkel wrote:
trak660 wrote:The promoters claim to have some friends who booked him, so. how come they didn't ask them for advice or a contact to his agent? I suspect that there's more to the story.
Also, isn't the scene in Australia mostly people under the age of 25, like in the US? It seems like a gamble to pay $5000 for an old school DJ whose name the kids might have to look up on the internet when the same amount could bring 2 or 3 talented and well-known modern DJs.
It's hard to find a talented DJ though, let alone 2 or 3. Maybe Lil Louis is a questionable character, but he is a great DJ. He played one of the best sets I've ever heard a few years ago here in Finland.
$5000 is how much other guys like him charge, but my point was that it may be a gamble unless the event can afford to eat that money. (like these promoters probably should've done) I wouldn't risk it here in the Midwest US unless I also had some popular brostep or electro house DJs in the lineup too, and there would have to be two rooms so Mr. Brostep could satisfy the kiddies while "some house DJ named Little Louie or something" clears the other room of everyone except for the few people over 35 years old.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

I'm starting to see why Chicago and Detroit DJ's go overseas most of the time. $5000 for a DJ set -urk :lol:
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

trak660 wrote:Midwest US unless I also had some popular brostep or electro house DJs in the lineup too, and there would have to be two rooms so Mr. Brostep could satisfy the kiddies while "some house DJ named Little Louie or something" clears the other room of everyone except for the few people over 35 years old.
I haven't been to a club since 1997. Just produce electronic music as a hobby because it's a fun thing to do. The bottle service clubs in the US and the rockstar DJ playing at a huge festival in Europe look like sheer torture. It's like going to a Christian rock concert. The music's lame and all these people are lame...ahhh... (-)
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

The US was great in the 1990's, especially in the Midwest. Everybody I know who's been to Berghain says it feels a lot like how things were back then except you can stay longer. 8) Makes me want to move to Berlin.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Dal-Tech wrote:I'm starting to see why Chicago and Detroit DJ's go overseas most of the time. $5000 for a DJ set -urk :lol:
5000 is small money compared to the really big boys. Tiesto made like 10 million last year. You do the math. Tickets to the really big electronic DJ's can cost even as much
as 200. Which is crazy, when you can see a great DJ for something like 10 euros in a smaller club. For example, DJ Hell is playing here in Finland today, the tickets are like 12€ or something. Swedish House Mafia (who don't even DJ, it's at least partially playback) is playing here in a few weeks, the tickets are 80€.

Naturally, it's better that the money goes to the DJ than some shady club owner.