how to...start a new label

- open
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: how to...start a new label

Post by ray parry »

breton wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:I walked into a record store the other day and it was mid aged balding guys. It used to be young people. I walked away thinking it's more about nostalgia and people who think it's cool to play a vinyl record then anything else. It's like opening a video rental store only selling VHS tapes and VCR's to rent. Some people would enjoy that nostalgia and in the right city such a store could probably do okay.
It says more about the sorry state of culture in your Homeland, than about vinyl as the medium.

Fine, you grew disillusioned with vinyl, but why do you feel the urge to disparage it and people preferring it?
Saying that preferring vinyl to digital is nostalgia is plain stupid though.
It's like saying "why play acoustic guitar, when there are electric ones?"
And these days you don't even need a guitar, there are VSTis.
So why play acoustic guitar/piano/cello, when you can press keys on your MacBook keyboard, while sitting in a Starbucks, checking out other people's outfits?

And why buy records, when you can just google "Soul Capsule Overcome zippy", download it, listen to it once (for 3 minutes), tweet about it, post a sepia toned iphone photo of you listening to it on Instagram and forget about it forever.

It's not about nostalgia or ego, it's about being something more than just a shallow consumer.
It's about devotion.
Something you seem to lack. At least that's the impression i get from your posts in this topic.

Have you guys seen this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nwfxx
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Kiani wrote: - Is it true that when you want to press records on vinyl, that it has to be mastered differently? I believe I read this once on this forum.
Yes
Kiani wrote: - Also, what I see regularly, is that people say you have to have a releasing schedule with a few releases already when you want to get it distributed by eg d&p. But what's up with labels like novel sound or deconstruct which only release stuff once in a year or so?
Normally it is like this, but of course if you already have a name, then it might be different, also depends who is distributing it, maybe you already have other business with them.
Kiani wrote: - What is the lowest amount of vinyl you can press: 200? 300? Any good tips where to do it?
You can go as low as you want today, but the smaller amount the higher the price per vinyl.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

patrick bateman wrote:
Kiani wrote: - Is it true that when you want to press records on vinyl, that it has to be mastered differently? I believe I read this once on this forum.
Yes
Kiani wrote: - Also, what I see regularly, is that people say you have to have a releasing schedule with a few releases already when you want to get it distributed by eg d&p. But what's up with labels like novel sound or deconstruct which only release stuff once in a year or so?
Normally it is like this, but of course if you already have a name, then it might be different, also depends who is distributing it, maybe you already have other business with them.
Kiani wrote: - What is the lowest amount of vinyl you can press: 200? 300? Any good tips where to do it?
You can go as low as you want today, but the smaller amount the higher the price per vinyl.

Thanks Patrick!
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

breton wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:I walked into a record store the other day and it was mid aged balding guys. It used to be young people. I walked away thinking it's more about nostalgia and people who think it's cool to play a vinyl record then anything else. It's like opening a video rental store only selling VHS tapes and VCR's to rent. Some people would enjoy that nostalgia and in the right city such a store could probably do okay.
It says more about the sorry state of culture in your Homeland, than about vinyl as the medium.

Fine, you grew disillusioned with vinyl, but why do you feel the urge to disparage it and people preferring it?
Saying that preferring vinyl to digital is nostalgia is plain stupid though.
It's like saying "why play acoustic guitar, when there are electric ones?"
And these days you don't even need a guitar, there are VSTis.
So why play acoustic guitar/piano/cello, when you can press keys on your MacBook keyboard, while sitting in a Starbucks, checking out other people's outfits?

And why buy records, when you can just google "Soul Capsule Overcome zippy", download it, listen to it once (for 3 minutes), tweet about it, post a sepia toned iphone photo of you listening to it on Instagram and forget about it forever.

It's not about nostalgia or ego, it's about being something more than just a shallow consumer.
It's about devotion.
Something you seem to lack. At least that's the impression i get from your posts in this topic.
I don't know if that's a good analogy since digital audio can still sound good. A quality DAC will make all the difference. I would say vinyl is still necessary if you are into music only released on vinyl which is very much an elitist type thing these days. Spinning digital is so accessible these days with a variety of options, Some poeple use a combo of both.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

Dal-Tech wrote: I walked into a record store the other day and it was mid aged balding guys. It used to be young people. I walked away thinking it's more about nostalgia and people who think it's cool to play a vinyl record then anything else. It's like opening a video rental store only selling VHS tapes and VCR's to rent. Some people would enjoy that nostalgia and in the right city such a store could probably do okay.
http://blog.dubspot.com/the-resurgence- ... -comeback/
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Funny that article mentioned a pressing plant that dragged their feet on a record I pressed. If you got the urge then go for it. I was listening to RA's top tracks of 2012 and its horrible pretentious over-simplistic dull techno or trendy house trying to be 90s. -frown 2 A good excuse not to press wax. That's the wanker sh!t that sells.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

Dal-Tech wrote:I was listening to RA's top tracks of 2012 and its horrible pretentious over-simplistic dull techno or trendy house trying to be 90s. -frown 2 A good excuse not to press wax.
Lost me there completely.
HEFTY
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HEFTY »

www.label-worx.com - i use this and it works very well and they are helpful :)