Fed Up With Beatport . . .

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Fed Up With Beatport . . .

Post by Themis »

i think the artists or labels itself put the genre in - not the shop.

its just to much work, would cost a lot of money to scan through every release and have a worker who knows all styles and can put the record into the right category ..
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I use whatpeopleplay exclusively after a long stint with junodownload and a few trips to beatport. WPP's selection is way more refined then those other two sites and I enjoy the interface more also. I will get music direct from labels, but mostly use WPP.

In regards to genre's, it's all subjective dude. I could call something techno that someone else calls tech-house that yet another person calls deep house. You can only pigeon-hole music so much. Plus, so much music blurs these genre lines that it needs to go in multiple categories anyways. Like Themis said, you gotta put in the work to find tracks you like.

Here's my routine: Once a week I'll browse everything that came out under "House". I'll add things to my cart that I like and wait until the next day or at least a few hours and re-listen to everything in the cart. Then I'll buy stuff that makes the final cut. Sometimes it's a bunch of tracks, sometimes it's two tunes.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

someone who is coming from beatport moaning about genres mislabelled on wpp? :roll:
techno made me do it
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

deccard wrote:most stuff i buy at whatpeopleplay (the digi shop of wordandsound)
http://www.whatpeopleplay.com/
for me the best interface. with an account you have full preview from beginning to end. you can listen to a whole ep while making your tax statements.
if something at wpp isnt available i try junodownload.
hardwax is nice but they only got really really small selection of music digital. but it´s good.

thanks... the player there, hand down, is one of the best audio players I've seen on any site ever..
very easy to listen, click, and browse other releases too, while still listening... no delay, ever.. truly amazing..
bravo :!:
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Themis wrote:i think the artists or labels itself put the genre in - not the shop.

its just to much work, would cost a lot of money to scan through every release and have a worker who knows all styles and can put the record into the right category ..
Hi Themis, yes I think this true as well, but i think you've misunderstood my post. I was griping that WPP don't have much in the way of genres splitting their house music, the actual web-site. When clients woudl want to sell through them they'd have to select fro the genres provided by WPP. Do you follow me?
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Phase Ghost wrote:I use whatpeopleplay exclusively after a long stint with junodownload and a few trips to beatport. WPP's selection is way more refined then those other two sites and I enjoy the interface more also. I will get music direct from labels, but mostly use WPP.

In regards to genre's, it's all subjective dude. I could call something techno that someone else calls tech-house that yet another person calls deep house. You can only pigeon-hole music so much. Plus, so much music blurs these genre lines that it needs to go in multiple categories anyways. Like Themis said, you gotta put in the work to find tracks you like.

Here's my routine: Once a week I'll browse everything that came out under "House". I'll add things to my cart that I like and wait until the next day or at least a few hours and re-listen to everything in the cart. Then I'll buy stuff that makes the final cut. Sometimes it's a bunch of tracks, sometimes it's two tunes.
Hi Ghost, cheers for that routine. It's very very similar to mine. Seems we think alike.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

deccard wrote:someone who is coming from beatport moaning about genres mislabelled on wpp? :roll:
Hello deccard, I wasn't complaining that they'd mislabeled anything, please check my post. I was grumbling that they have very few genres so as to refine my searches a bit more.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Sorry for sound stupid but I found I CAN listen to all of a track but I have to manually keep skipping intot eh next section to stop the media player jumping to the next track in my list. Just checking but is there a wau to play the track FROM BEGINNING TO END WITH HAVNIG TO MANUALLY JUMP INTOT HENEXT QUADRANT TO KEEP LISTENING?