track ID'ing

- open
pastapiu
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

track ID'ing

Post by pastapiu »

I just want to get this of my chest:

I've been a self-proclaimed (foremost digital) record digger for a vast number of years now. It's something that have always loved doing and that was also rewarding. You put effort into finding serious tracks and each time you make a discovery, it’s like you have deserved to own that particular vinyl. However, since a while now (the use of this forum by yours truly might add to this feeling) I start having the feeling that the sharing and ID’ing of tracks takes away the magic of the quest for tracks. It seems as if everyone has direct access to the most beautiful tracks. Hours of searching and hard work seem to vanish in the light of this information overflow. Ofcourse this is nothing new and I must admit, I do enjoy the new insights that come to light through track ID forums from time to time. And yes, I bring in an ID every once in a while as well. It’s just such a shame that it’s such a game changer! It seems like the guys who put effort in wandering around endlessly in track ID forums benefit more than the ones who dig for their records ‘oldschool’.

What I want to say is that I truly feel that track ID sections somewhat take the soul out of the whole process of being and becoming a DJ. On the other hand, you keep being curious as well. It’s like using drugs: you know it fucks up your system but you keep coming back for more. The only possible solution I would like to bring in is to make it more difficult to get ahold of an ID. Maybe just share a track ID with the person who posted it instead of dropping it in public. To the skeptical readers who think this is a pointless post as it is simply impossible to change this: I feel your argument. I just had to drop this. Feel free to respond.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: track ID'ing

Post by Themis »

you should not care what others know or dont know.

wait till google starts to digitalize all vinyls ever made, then shazam can instant ID everything.

whats then? do you stop beeing a dj then?
somewhere down the line people started to think that DJing is about playing tracks no one knows, i dont know why this happend but its bullshit in my opinion.
if you only dig to get fame, maybe you should stop, cause i can tell you now, playing good tracks doesnt make you a famous DJ.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

there is nothing to be envy or sad about. there are alot crap id´s requestet. and having some classic tracks doesnt make you a good dj with an own style.
i lurk in the id section from time to time as it´s just another way but there is so much music out there (old and new) and so many ways to play it.
a lot new stuff aint that bad compared to the old stuff if you look right. it´s just all part of the story. only because some big names play it people want the id.
so alot of them are only copycats and mostly nothing interesting will come up from this. and if than good. i actually never bought something from discogs :)
techno made me do it
pastapiu
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pastapiu »

Themis wrote:if you only dig to get fame
The digging is something that just happened, it hasn't been an intentional move. I just feel the drive to find new stuff and try to give a unique feel to a set. I think that this is what DJ'ing is all about. Also keeping it interesting for all sorts of listeners (maybe even more the experienced listener than the noob in my case). Ofcourse I use new records as well as older records, although my interest in a record often drops somewhat if everybody plays a certain track. That can be avoided by doing some digging I guess. On the other side, it is simply impossible to play only unknown sounds unless you produce them yourself. Maybe that's the right path for me than!

Maybe just think less and feel more, f*ck what is known and do your own thing. Comes rather close to what is the best path to walk in general if you ask me.

I must admit, dropping such a post is a nice way of getting back on track musically speaking :D
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

if you play a set with a lot of unknown tracks i guess its easy to get attention for it.

what i respect a lot more, is playing a set with a lot of known tracks, and still blow the minds.
pastapiu
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pastapiu »

truth
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Themis wrote:if you play a set with a lot of unknown tracks i guess its easy to get attention for it.

what i respect a lot more, is playing a set with a lot of known tracks, and still blow the minds.
yeah when you think of it, it's indeed true. but on the other hand funny, cos in the mainstream genres, the complete opposite would be true.
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Roy Koch »

I don´t think that the track ID forum is a game changer at all. How many new tracks get ID´ed on this forum per week that you like? 2 tracks maybe? Definitely not enough tracks to have a complete music collection. Besides that, it is easy to notice when someone plays all the 'newest and coolest' IDs in a set. It often leads to very boring and predictable mixes. In my opinion the ID section is almost irrelevant in finding new music. There is a lot more cool music available than the stuff that happens to be in some Arpiar set. Personally I use the ID section as one of many tools to search for new music. And if you solely/mainly depend on the ID section for new tracks you are a very very limited DJ with a very small music collection.

Also I disagree with Themis. For me it is very important to hear unknown tracks. When I am listening to a DJ I want to be surprised and hear new music. No matter how good a track is, after a few listens it starts to get less special. I guess everyone prefers an equally good mix, in terms of skills and quality of tracks, with unknown tracks over a mix with many known tracks.