As a DJ...

- open
SKIFF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

As a DJ...

Post by SKIFF »

I was listening to a track by DJ hell feat some rapper the other day. And it was like; this one goes out to all the djs that have the balls to play a 20, 30, 40 min version of a mother fucking track. So i was wondering; would it be cool if a DJ played like Fizheuer Zieheuer in a 2 hour set? Or would you feel ripped off.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: As a DJ...

Post by Themis »

YES i would feel ripped off, maybe if it is his own track i would find it OK.. but no DJ will get my respect who plays 30 mins fizheuer zieheuer other then ricardo himself.

EDIT: ok i thought about it a little bit, maybe if i dont know the track it would be kind of ok. but not some really famous tracks who everybody heard a 100 times.
SKIFF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SKIFF »

Yeah i kind of agree on that. I guess we just shouldnt listen to P Diddy when i comes to techno. Or in my opinion, music in general..
But how about full tracks? I really like to play full tracks in my sets because i like to pick my tracks on pure quality. Tracks that allready have a perfect build-up and are really worth playing all the way. But a lot of Dj's say its bad. They think its best to put on a new track every 3 min. and really show off your Dj skills. What do you guys think? Does playing 8 min tracks in an hour set make you a bad DJ? Or could this be the difference between producers and Dj's?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

8 minutes is not a problem for me, if the track is really dynamic of course i would let it run 8 minutes.
sheet1
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sheet1 »

thats that radioslave remix of dj hell track thats samples pDiddy -- its like 30 mins long
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

A good set needs both to be entertaining imho... times where you work the tracks (i. e. cut, fade, warp, filter, whatever you are able to do) and times where you let the tracks work for themself. A pure "look at my DJ skills" set is OK for a battle session but after 20-30min it usually bores me.
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

rhadoo played the full fizheuer, but while mixing 2 (or 3) different songs inside it :D
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

someone i know played the entire "the make up / the break up" by bruno pronsato as the first track in their set when i saw them, and proceeded to dance around in the audience the entire time. was kind of pathetic.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier