Theo Parrish about Vinyl, Djing .....

- open
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Theo Parrish about Vinyl, Djing .....

Post by Barfunkel »

New Guy wrote:I like what he says about vinyl and I love playing vinyl. My only problem is that there is so much good music out there (for free) that is not available on vinyl. So yeah, digi has to added to the blend.
The problem with digital music, and with free digital music even more so, is the horrendous ratio between the good and the bad music. You have to go through literally thousands of (digital) tracks to find something nice. Vinyl serves as a quality filter. Of course, if you have 10 hours to day to go through releases it doesn't matter but at least I spend maybe an hour a day finding new music, which means going through a few hundred records on online stores.

Not saying that everything on vinyl is golden, but the ratio is much much better, maybe one record in every 50 or so is worth buying, as opposed to 1 in a few thousand.

The next big step in digital music consumption, I hope, is going to be a filter that somehow, given certain parameters, filters out most of the crap. Before someone comes up with the algorhithm for that, digital music is useless for me at least. I simply don't have the time.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

I hate to admit it but I stopped purchasing records back in 2000 or 2002 because I'd rather have money in the bank or food on the table.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

why you hate to admit it?

i wouldnt buy vinyls over food Oo

if i look at discogs prices, i rage every day.
people that sell 3-4 year old mediocre records for double the original price make me sad, there is no other choice than buy digital sometime.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

especially with the on-going recession. I've started looking at the 2nd hand market in London now. You can get some gems and its great fun especially if a couple of you do and you can have a beer afterwards :)

Check out MVE - very good.
masterpiece
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by masterpiece »

I'm kindda agree with quality ratio on vinyl releases than digital...Also while market became completely digital garbage in last few years sometimes diggin gettin harder while there are lotta digital releases there...

BUT

Pressing vinyl gets ridiculously into a war in industry....u know everybody has different opinions but for me "ppl who mostly releasing vinyl records trying to turn this, into kinda ... a step .....to be claimed a good producer/dj" .....Lots of reasons for this but pressing very limited (like 100-150-200-250 copies) its like never release that sh!t....i know producers wants to make something special....they work a lot on artwork-booklets-then u press into 180 grams ...its f*ckin costs much even if u r a big label.....some records just don't sell but...... press very limited then sell like 14-15 euros for two tracks which will fade away its efficiency in two months....then some "CLEVER" discogs seller sells it like 50-60 bucks....then ppl thinks its kinda f*ckin hype u know....

I love Theo Parrish , i have few records of him ......but i dont pay 480 dollars for a mint copy of "Sketches" triple lps .... By pressin 150 copies he's making avaliable this stupidness....Do something like 300-500 copies .....then this sh!t happens at least affordable prices...otherwise these speculators are unstoppable....

Solution is press limited (but in a good way), finish your copies , plan two-three months later (if you plan so close it can distract ppl buy vinyl maybe) mp3,flac or whatever release....to bandcamp....do not pay for distrubition.... get ur money & make your fans happy...