does tempo matter?

- open
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: does tempo matter?

Post by LouisVee »

kristofason wrote:Ive just finished a remix, the parts sent were 94 bpm, Ive wacked it up to 98, any faster and it sounds too fast but its defo a track for dancing, I'm just afraid that being under 115 will seriously limit the amount of people interested in the tune...
That's sad but true!

How often do your hear in a club tracks under 110 bpm... Never! Or maybe in really underground ones, or in lounge/restaurant, etc.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

LouisVee wrote:That's sad but true!
How often do your hear in a club tracks under 110 bpm... Never! Or maybe in really underground ones, or in lounge/restaurant, etc.
There's nothing sad about it.
There are not much tracks under 110 bpm that you can actually dance to*. And nightclubs are made for dancing. At least the good ones.

*Well, surely you can dance to music of any tempo, i'm only talking about house/techno music and the way people dance to it.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

breton wrote:
There are not much tracks under 110 bpm that you can actually dance to*. And nightclubs are made for dancing. At least the good ones.

*Well, surely you can dance to music of any tempo, i'm only talking about house/techno music and the way people dance to it.
When it comes to house, techno, minimal, electronica, EDM, dubstep or what not dance like no one is watching. Preferably when it's dark. ;)
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

trak660 wrote:I'm more concerned with being funky than genre or tempo. Depending on where and when I'm spinning, you could catch me playing tempos anywhere between 100 and 140.
If I have to play all night, I usually start with some deep stuff under 120 and gradually increase the tempo.
For 1-2 hour sets, I tend to keep the sound fairly homogeneous from start to finish.

I agree. How good a groove sounds is more important. But let's be honest, most people can't dance to the stuff (EDM).
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i can dance to 100 bpm house music so why can't anyone else? i never had any problems dancing to hip hop either.
coachroebuck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by coachroebuck »

LouisVee wrote:I've notice that we lose bpm over the years... 15 years ago you could often hear 135bpm in a club, in 2005/2007 127-130 was the sh!t... mixing at 120 made no sense. Now the "normal" is 120-125 ... (of course, it depends of the style, I know)
I've taken note of this over the years as a producer. Personal choice: I'm a banger. My instinct is to play anything 4% faster, or between 130 bpm - 135 bpm, whichever is closer. I still see rooms still light up playing at the 130 bpm mark, especially at a time when more DJs have slowed the music down.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

breton wrote:

You can dance to my track, I did lastnight!!! We started off the set at 96 bpm in a club garden and most of the people were dancin along..
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

My preference of tempo on the dance floor is 170bpm Jungle, House/Techno of any sort just doesn't do it for me. For home listening it's a complete reversal.