Legal advice on white labels

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Legal advice on white labels

Post by John Clees »

Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
that's a pretty ignorant generalized statement...

you "have" a record coming out... meaning "no" you haven't' pressed your "own" records..
but you're "planning" on it... :?:

so you haven't tried be cool yet...your "planning" on it...

hahaha.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

I'm being serious. The test presses are in the mail. One of the tracks was played by Dave Clarke. I basically payed an artist to compose tracks and splurged thousands of dollars on a record release. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this though since it is expensive. Pressing vinyl in general is pretty expensive. All you need to do to release a white label is pay a pressing plant. If you have thousands of dollars or Euros anyone will listen and get back to you with a quote to press your music.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

thousands? how many are you pressing? glamorous art work or artist fees too?

I only paid $500 for 100 white labels @ archer in Detroit..I just made a call
it's still only around $700 for white labels but now a min of 200..
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

@ John Clees. commissioning work is a bit foreign these days but that's what I did. On Archer when I was getting quotes I was told 300 was the limit.

What I would recommend is paying for at least a 1-color label, a record sleeve, a record jacket, and pressing enough vinyl so you can either break even or turn a profit.

This way a person who purchases vinyl and has a collection can properly identify and organize your record. You won't walk into a record store ans see 20 white labels and think that could be one of mine. A person could also purchase a copy of your record if they wanted to.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

there are simple stamps that can be used on white labels. A friend of mine who i called an old friend to dig up some details who works for Archer, plus I went to the website and it for sure says 200 minimum.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

A person on the phone did say 300 was going to be the future limit. Maybe they didn't follow through. If you are having to press such a low quantity of vinyl maybe you shouldn't release records. Swallow your pride. If you are just starting out okay but it's like an aspiring actor working at Starbucks for a living.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Here's an easy way to find out if you have what it takes to sell records. This is something that I observed while living in NYC.

Get some gear for a live gig like a portable PA system.
Set up at a location where there is pedestrian traffic.
Put a tip jar.
Start playing your music, it doesn't matter what style, and see if you can draw an audience.

If no one is interested in your music and you feel uncomfortable playing your music in front of others then you have no business releasing music. You're just a noise maker, hobbyist type person.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I pressed my own music, my own art when I was about 21 years old.. I got got a call back from Watts distribution, then a few months later 9-11 happened and after that a few hugh distributions companies when under..each expression and purpose isn't the same. the point of sharing was to help other people know you don't have to spend 1000's press a simple white label as mentioned. I believe in my own music, and pressed my art. apples and oranges. .

you choose conveniently not to answer all your bullshit on the other page suggesting things about taxes which have no experience with. so the very same thing that you said that you're not you appear to be the exact thing.

my post is for other people. this isn't your post or about you. once again it's exhausting trying into have even a slightest bit of communication with you. I've followed your condescending douche post for months now.. this place isn't your sh!t stop to spout about all your bullshit and be condensing to the users so his forum. it's like you lack attention so you'll be "that guy" the "douche" just to get any attention at all.