Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain PC.

- open
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Just bought a Macbook after promising myself to remain P

Post by NoAffiliation »

i use windows 7 x64 on my production computer and it's flawless, low latency, super fast. people forget that it takes developers a bit of time to make things compatible with all the OS updates that happen. same goes for mac. there's also ALOT of kick-ass free vsts that are PC only

for what it's worth i worked in a computer music lab at a university with a room full of about 40 brand new imacs and they crashed all the time.

i will note that my experience is based on using a machine that is not bought off the shelf. when i buy laptops the first thing i do is reformat it to get rid of all the crap that comes on a commercial install of windows
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

NoAffiliation wrote:i use windows 7 x64 on my production computer and it's flawless, low latency, super fast. people forget that it takes developers a bit of time to make things compatible with all the OS updates that happen. same goes for mac. there's also ALOT of kick-ass free vsts that are PC only

for what it's worth i worked in a computer music lab at a university with a room full of about 40 brand new imacs and they crashed all the time.

i will note that my experience is based on using a machine that is not bought off the shelf. when i buy laptops the first thing i do is reformat it to get rid of all the crap that comes on a commercial install of windows
My Quadcore 2.2Ghz Macbook with 4gb RAM runs Ableton better than my home built Windows 7 Desktop running a Quadcore i5 2600k 3.3ghz with 8gb RAM.
The desktop suffers audio dropouts when Ableton reaches 50% CPU usage so I have to increase Latency on my sound card.
I'm still trying to find out what I can switch off to make it run better.
The Mac lets me throw all kind of VST's in and I haven't had any problems yet and that is with latency set to the lowest possible.
Mac folk used to annoy me, coming onto forums and piping on about how much better their Mac's are. Now I feel kind of bad as I have become one of them but the thing is, is it's true.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

NoAffiliation wrote: for what it's worth i worked in a computer music lab at a university with a room full of about 40 brand new imacs and they crashed all the time.
they probably use the same disk image for all the macs. it's easier to do software updates in big rooms with lots of computers. the downside is if something goes wrong with the mac they make the image on, all the clones will have the same problem.