Bandcamp

- open
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Bandcamp

Post by ::BLM:: »

yeah or just invite that person to download from you on soundcloud.

either way its possible and has been something i have been thinking about for a while now. some people get 100's of comments on their tracks so if they offered it for say £1 im sure enough people would buy it to make it worthwhile.
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

fairly sure that soundcloud would stop people doing that as soon as they noticed and implement some kind of similar feature where they take a cut of the profit. it would be irrational for them to do anything else.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the soundcloud idea also requires more time to process orders. i wouldn't mind the bandcamp fees. it seems fair compared to this ridiculous model of having a distributer supply a shop with virtual products.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

So I guess the ideal combination would be the bandcamp payment system and soundcloud's intuitive interface!

I'm starting my 2nd label in a couple of months... Would be cool to have vinyl + digital bandcamp only!
Is there a label already doing it?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I think Further Records might just do vinyl only and bandcamp.

http://furtherrecords.org/
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

resolved wrote:fairly sure that soundcloud would stop people doing that as soon as they noticed and implement some kind of similar feature where they take a cut of the profit. it would be irrational for them to do anything else.
IMO, It could be quite profitable for them to just let people sell their tracks without taking a cut.

The reason behind this, is that with a free account you can show eg. 5 tracks for sale, whereas with a Pro account you could have many more tracks available for sale, so if soundcloud became a popular free marketplace for music, they would sell more Pro accounts.

I suppose with a Pro account maybe you could offer FLAC and mp3 as well, with the streamable file being a lower quality mp3 encoded from the original WAV (instead of the annoying current system, where if you want the downloadable version to be mp3, then the streamable file must be a low quality transcode of that mp3).

Having multiple file formats available for download seems like something they could implement very easily.

They have already implemented a feature where a track is downloadable only for certain members, and only a certain number of times, so I don't see what's stopping this from taking off big-time. Down with beatport!
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

::BLM:: wrote:I think Further Records might just do vinyl only and bandcamp.

http://furtherrecords.org/

Looks like they sell their vinyls and cassettes (!) on Bandcamp, but not their digital versions?
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

hairblz wrote: The reason behind this, is that with a free account you can show eg. 5 tracks for sale, whereas with a Pro account you could have many more tracks available for sale, so if soundcloud became a popular free marketplace for music, they would sell more Pro accounts.

Exactly, they would do their cash that way. So 100% of the sales to the label, that way the artist would REALLY get paid, not like in this hypocrite system we are... were the artists are not paid at all.