Bandcamp

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Bandcamp

Post by tone-def »

Is anyone using it?
When do you think it will take over from beatport?
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Bandcamp

Post by zentex »

me, it's great, best way to sell your music i've found. the interface is idiot-proof and it's fast as mofo, songs load near-instantly. the freedom of not having to deal with distributors and shops is very liberating, i hope it will take over Beatport really quick.
http://zentexmusic.bandcamp.com/
masterpiece
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by masterpiece »

tone-def wrote:Is anyone using it?
When do you think it will take over from beatport?
Well since Beatport serves no purpose but fucking click click tracks of top 100s for years , i think its time for "producers" make some cash.Even big labels dont make money from digital sales ....And "only physical" labels had to do limited releases from time to time since not everyone is Perlon so they can attract attention imo ....For digital distribution its even worse if you are "very known" artist because some p2p programs and filesharing sites still with loads of music .....important question is... what about small artists?.....for small artists sometimes using new distribution methods always works well since there are millions of mp3s on beatport & i'm somehow very sure not everyone listens every track on beatport because of our lifespan technically we dont last like 8000 years...Sometimes i feel very lazy for searching new tracks...but in real I really love searching unknown people & less known tracks but beatport is so much mainstream to start searching .....thats why i say beatport = billboard ...for me Bandcamp will be popular in a year or so....i think idea is nice....A few sites like that and digital distributors had to make major decisions...And very interesting pricing...
Do you offer a volume discount?
Yes, the revenue share drops to 10% as soon as you reach $5,000 USD in sales (and stays there, provided you've made at least $5,000 in the past 12 months).

How does Bandcamp get paid?
As you sell on Bandcamp, we track your revenue share balance, and when a sale comes along that's less than or equal to your balance, that sale goes to Bandcamp. Let's look at an example. Say you're at the 10% rate, and you sell an album for $10. All $10 of that sale goes straight to you, but your revenue share balance (the amount you owe Bandcamp) is now $1. Then you sell another album for $10. All $10 of that sale also goes straight to you, but your balance is now $2. You keep on selling $10 albums, and those sales keep on going to you. However, upon the sale of your tenth $10 album, your balance has reached $10, so that $10 sale, and only that sale, goes to Bandcamp (and your balance is then reset back to zero). You can view your balance at any time by exporting your sales history from the Sales section of your Tools page.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

hm, the idea is good but the site sucks big time.

you cant even search on the site itself, you only can search with google.
its a good site for a artist who has 1-5 releases, but it would be a pain to search labels with 100 releases and more.
its just a blog page, the site layout just cant manage millions of releases.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

would it not be better to sell direct from soundcloud? that way you get 100% of money.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

soundcloud would have to implement a feature were people could pay and download.
and if they would implement it they would want to have a share of the profit :)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

but im saying i could do that myself. all you would have to do is put in the comments section or in the title that its for sale and a paypal address. then just get people to message you once they have paid and you send them a link to the track.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

::BLM:: wrote:but im saying i could do that myself. all you would have to do is put in the comments section or in the title that its for sale and a paypal address. then just get people to message you once they have paid and you send them a link to the track.
Like, a link that would expire after one download?