What's happened here?

- open
Crazygoat
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What's happened here?

Post by Crazygoat »

I don't know where to start with this.

In 2007 at some point I discovered techno. I started exploring it, and it was a matter of time before I bumped into some minimal stuff.

I kept on exploring and exploring, until minimal became my passion. Artists, labels, www.discogs.com, I wanted to know everything. I found myself spending more and more money on wavs and mp3s, CDs, parties and t-shirts from niche labels. I started playing with VirtualDJ, and LOVED THIS sh!t. It was going to be my life, I thought.

Hours and hours and hours were spent listening to electronic music

I got Xone:2D and Traktor, started mixing more seriously, that was my hobby. I would actually make 2-hour long mixes and record them, just for the fck of it.

Minimal techno parties were like heaven to me, and never took drugs either. I could just dance for hours straight. I cannot put into words my addiction to electronic music. I would send tracks to friends and tell them: CHECK THIS sh!t OUT, IT'S AWESOME.

Every day I thought about techno, and listened to it.

Until at some point, last year, I just started feeling empty about it. I practically stopped buying music. I haven't made a proper mix in months. I would browse beatport and feel like I'm hearing the SAME sh!t ALL OVER.

Gaiser started to bore me, and every mthrfckr out there sounded like a copy of a copy of a copy of himself. Marco Carola being the king of that, and the epitome of this being his piece of sh!t release (if you can call it that) "Play it Loud!". It's like a troll release for April's fool.

Is it just me, or are artists not making an effort anymore? My enthusiasm about the scene stagnated and now dropped. Everyone seems to be taking the piss, and I cannot believe the amount of ideas being done, and re-done, and re-done.

Minimal's fucking dead. No wonder brostep is doing so well at the moment. People are looking for something different. I never thought I would say that either. I was one of those people critisizing anyone being negative about minimal, but now I can see it. I can feel it. It's gone done the fucking sewer.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Well, I can see your view but you have to keep things fresh.

-Seek music elsewhere (especially stay off of the Beatport 'top whatever').
-Look for new artists that inspire you.
-Checkout other genres.
-Listen to music other than electronic.
-Purchase new/used equipment that will get your ears moving.

When I get bored, I do all of the above. Search for all of these things in off-the-wall places & not just online. That gets zzzz real quick.
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: What's happened here?

Post by Themis »

dont listen to Minus Artists, after some time they are just really boring.
checkout artists like, ricardo and arpiar.
i think everyone goes through the "minus" phase at some point in his life.
i think what you search is more house music, more emotion in the music.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Have a look in the house, deep house or even the nu-disco section. Not everybody has their stuff filed under "minimal" or "tech house". Check out some charts or playlists for ideas.
Also, you don't have to spin the latest stuff. Go back and see what's been digitally re-released from the 80's or 90's! 8)
Crazygoat
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Crazygoat »

I know what you guys are saying, I'm not a stuck-up strictly minimal kind of person. I have built a huge collection of tracks, around 3000 or something, a lot of underground stuff, not your typical M_nus sound. House, tech-house, techno, dubstep, etc.

I also listen to tons of other types of music, so it's not like I listen to the same thing all the time and got bored.

But still I'm tired. It feels like I'm hearing the same things, honestly. Maybe I just exhausted my patience with the electronic music chapter, I don't know.

This year I turned metal, but it feels kinda frustrating that I had such a change of feelings about techno.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

I have had the same thing happen to me several times, it's nothing to get scared of. Just keep a healthy balance between Techno and everything else. Even though good Techno is amazing, music has so much more to offer than just that. Forget about genres and scenes. Listen to anything. Don't be afraid to keep a few months without any electronic music every now and then if you get exhausted of the sounds. Genre is nothing you should feel bound to. It's nothing that defines you as a person. It's all just a bunch of different ideas that people keep evolving.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

If you've gotten into heavier stuff lately, here's a keeper of mine:

Crazygoat
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Crazygoat »

Kleig wrote:If you've gotten into heavier stuff lately, here's a keeper of mine:

Oh man, I love Sleep! Found out about stoner metal last year and loving it!

Kyuss, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Spirit Caravan, Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin... real good stuff.

I also like thrashy stuff like Metallica (obviously), Sepultura, Pantera, Exodus, Exhorder, Sodom, Destruction, Slayer, The Haunted.

You're right, I never labeled myself musically anyway, since I love so many different genres. It's just that at times, one is more dominant, and I put more energy into it (currently metal, previously techno).