Beatport has removed 3 latin american distributors

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Beatport has removed 3 latin american distributors

Post by patrick bateman »

Dal-Tech wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:You are right. All the Delsin labels follow that example, sorry.

;)

and from what I heard, it didn't actually have to do with sales regarding those distributors that got the sack.
I'm going off what I've read researching music aggregators and don't share your taste in the Delsin label.

RA Forum: Beatport increases quality control, cuts labels

http://wearethemusicindustry.blogspot.c ... tport.html

In order to actually get on Beatport in the first place you'll either need to be:

An Established Artist with provable high volume sales

A Record label with an established roster of Artists

Signed to A record label or

Accessing them via one of the distributors such as Tunecore.

In the case of 4. Even THAT does not guarantee your access to Beatport. Beatport can reject your music if it doesn't live up to their editorial standards. But certainly if you're interested in setting up your own label and want to take on the financial and time burden that comes in tandem then it's the way to go.

Conversely Beatport's "Quality Control" actually works to your advantage. That they are culling labels naturally reduced competition, whilst it reassures the public that they are not getting a situation like on myspace where they could spend hours wading through tracks that simply aren't any good. From a marketing perspective this makes Beatport very attractive - the brand is a seal of "Quality". This also narrows it's marketing reach.

Delsin was just an example of 'quality' music, take some of your own fave labels, and they are probably on Beatport too.

The above you state was put into action because there was a huge demand from the public that Beatport did some kind of quality control, because of the massive amount of music on there. Then after they put this into effect, people start moaning about it and slash them for it.

Why don't you talk bad about the other digital shops that also are picky on who they want to sell in their shop?

Fair enough you don't like Beatport, but it's just annoying to see that the things you moan about is primarily not true...
hernangrau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by hernangrau »

Hello all, just to clarify some points here.
Dancephonic wasn't cutted off. There were several distributors and labels cutted off aswell.
It wasn't a distrubutors/aggregators issue. It was "cleaning" process to raise the standards agian. 2 or 3 years ago, the process to get your label approved by beatport took in some instance up to 30 days, your label was actually reviewed and of course there was denials. The last 2 years we got every label presented approved automatically.
So of all the labels we had in the account beatport took back only 1/4 automatically. The others have to apply again and they are gonna be reviewed.
Unluckly we got down because of this. But we were bought Symphonic Distribution so the business is still running. Not by me.

I was really dissapointed by Beatport and their corporate handling of this matter. If you have lowered down standards, raise them from now on, but don't fck the people who's making you richer every single day.

At the end, it's all business.

Hernan Grau
EX Miniatura Music CEO
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Patrick, stop defending Beatport. It will not generate you more sales.

I think the bottom line with music is your music just can't be okay or so so but really, really good in order for people to buy it. A lot of people out there are thirsty but that's the harsh reality when it comes to music.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Dal-Tech wrote:Patrick, stop defending Beatport. It will not generate you more sales.

I think the bottom line with music is your music just can't be okay or so so but really, really good in order for people to buy it. A lot of people out there are thirsty but that's the harsh reality when it comes to music.
That's a bit naive innit?

It doesn't have much to do with being good. Check the charts on Beatport, the best tracks in every genre usually aren't in the chart or only after 50th place, while the top 10 is mostly from big names. If you have the cash to buy yourself a Dubfire or Umek remix chances are very high you'll sell lots and lots, but it doesn't say much about the tracks per se. Many (most) people just buy whatever they are being fed, and if the label is right, or the remixer or producer is right, that's already reason enough to hit the buy button.

Anyway, it's not really relevant to the topic either. But everyone is always slagging off Beatport while they are generally speaking the best and most correct party to deal with and easy to reach. There are a few other stores that are cool too but just as many "cowboys", just like in every business. Beatport is really one of the few I never have had issues with in the five years I've had a label. They once announced to put Forteana (our sublabel) offline, but I had a nice talk about it with them and they left it online and it's still there, although it's hardly never making the required minimum sale.

And besides, it's BUSINESS, why would they have to have a non-profit NGO attitude? Because it's music they sell?
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

PsyTox wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:Patrick, stop defending Beatport. It will not generate you more sales.

That's a bit naive innit?

It doesn't have much to do with being good. Check the charts on Beatport, the best tracks in every genre usually aren't in the chart or only after 50th place, while the top 10 is mostly from big names. If you have the cash to buy yourself a Dubfire or Umek remix chances are very high you'll sell lots and lots, but it doesn't say much about the tracks per se. Many (most) people just buy whatever they are being fed, and if the label is right, or the remixer or producer is right, that's already reason enough to hit the buy button.

Anyway, it's not really relevant to the topic either. But everyone is always slagging off Beatport while they are generally speaking the best and most correct party to deal with and easy to reach. There are a few other stores that are cool too but just as many "cowboys", just like in every business. Beatport is really one of the few I never have had issues with in the five years I've had a label. They once announced to put Forteana (our sublabel) offline, but I had a nice talk about it with them and they left it online and it's still there, although it's hardly never making the required minimum sale.

And besides, it's BUSINESS, why would they have to have a non-profit NGO attitude? Because it's music they sell?

+1

let’s all hate on beatport because they are successful. :roll:

Music being of a high standard doesn’t always mean people are going to buy it. its all about names and hype. The people are sheep, for some reason they can’t decide for themselves what’s good.

I find the whole thing a bit depressing really, perhaps I am getting old but some of the sh!t that gets through nowadays is just stupid. Some of the crap that makes it into that beatport deep house 10 is such a joke. It happens in the vinyl world as well. Theo Parrish could put a fart on a record and people would still buy that sh!t at 13.99.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

stupidity is working well on this site I see :lol:
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Although I and you may think the Top10 on Beatfert is garbage those artist that sell are actually good at what they do. It's not like a rough demo by a newbie or something. It just comes down to the style of music you make and what sells. That's what I mean by selling out.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Dal-Tech wrote:Although I and you may think the Top10 on Beatfert is garbage those artist that sell are actually good at what they do. It's not like a rough demo by a newbie or something. It just comes down to the style of music you make and what sells. That's what I mean by selling out.
not all of them are good at what they do though. its subjective I suppose.... i know lots of people that just use an engineer and they get top 10's all the time. so people are buying tracks, and being fed information that isnt always true. how would you feel if you found out your favourite producer doesnt infact make music at all, and is away in bubblefuck djing and has an engineer sat at home making music for him/her?

that no1 in deep house at the moment isnt that well made either. all they have done is take a drum loop and chopped up cream by wu tang. how creative! -squint Although im not a fan that radio slave remix of 'horny' is an example of something that is at least well produced. why is it the digital producers love to use a large array of pre made loops? at least radio slave makes his own beats...