Discussion – Harmonic Mixing.

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

I’ve recently pulled my finger out and started to delve into the world of harmonic mixing, which so far has proved to be very interesting. I primarily create mixes centred around underground house music (deep / tech / techno). I’m a very competent DJ and favour long drawn out smooth seamless blends and harmonic mixing thus far has helped me to match records that might not have instantly jumped out at me creating some rather cool transitions. Naturally I’ll try not to get too immersed in this technique as it’s not the be all and end all to creating smooth mixes, however I was interested in hearing from you fellow DJ’s and boarders on the subject of harmonic mixing. I’d initially be interested in hearing about where you start on the harmonic scale, for example I’ve been starting at A Minor as I have a lot of records in the key and it also seems to be quite a subdued key, which is great for kicking off a mix that can build and build. However, I have experienced an initial problem as I have set myself the task of creating a mix where the track list is dictated by key and harmonic mixing. Essentially I’d like to create a mix where the key changes for each records, hopefully creating a building sensation for the duration of the mix and then dips down and it is this I’d like to discuss with you. Secondly I have also found that some keys are unavailable to me a present as I have just simply not found tracks in those keys, so I have had to work my way along changing key each track until I hit a key where I have no tracks, at this point I am forced to change direction.

Perhaps we could work with the example of creating a mix that is 12 records long, assuming that you’ll play approximately 5 minutes per track that means the mix should come out at about an hour long, give or take, which is a pretty good length since most hard media (in my case CD’s) can support a mix that is one hour long and it’s roughly around about the standard length of most mix albums give or take a few.

One of the issue I have is know which direction to follow to create a building sensation and I was hoping that someone on here might have some musical knowledge and be able to advise me or possibly give an example of how to order the keys in a mix to create this constant building effect I am looking for.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Discussion – Harmonic Mixing.

Post by hairblz »

Don't you think that your selections were better when you simply imagine the track in your head, rather than following some letter written next to the track?

Rather than spending the time at a piano figuring out the key (software doesn't work consistently yet, cmiiw) I prefer just trying out tracks to see how they mix together. I think to build a set like you described and for it to be good you need creative mixing skills rather than technical music knowledge.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

I know what you mean, but don't forget as I said in the OP I've been making mixes for a long time in the fashion that you described, so I'm trying this out simply because I can and I have the time to do it. There's not many things I enjoy more than a listen to an excellent live DJ mix that was been meticulously compiled, sequenced and mixed and if this technique can assist then I'm game to give it a try and compare the results to my previosu efforts of simply using my ears to determine which tracks I wish to use and in which order they will b eplayed andf how they will be mixed. DOn't forget even though I'm experimenting with harmoic mixing I'll still have to determine the phrases and where to mix each record and which EQ's to adjust and when to adjust them in order to asist the transitions all of which have a big impact the end result.

But even so that's not the point of this experiment / thread. I have set paramters for this next mix recording I am working on and those parameters is to mix each track in a progression of keys in order to see how it compares to my previous efforts. naturally I will ONLY be selecting records that I deem to be good, I wouldn't have it any other way.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

Fair enough.

What are you using to determine the key of the track?

Have you ever checked they keys of the tracks in a mix that you like?
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

isn't that sh!t meant for top 40 remix dj's and trance dj's? damn near all of those guys have predetermined sets because they're all about harmonic mixing.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

hairblz wrote:Fair enough.

What are you using to determine the key of the track?

Have you ever checked they keys of the tracks in a mix that you like?
I've been buying my digital tracks and hoping over to Beatport.com as when you play a track on their media player at the top of the screen the wave form also advises the key and the BPM of the track (BPM is important as it affects the pitch / key of the track when manipulated) I've been writing the key on the CD as I use CDJ's mainly. I've also googled the harmonic scale / wheel which I've printed out and use as a reference to see which key's are compatible with each other, as it's not easy or straight forward for a layman such as myself to tell by ear what key a track is in. Ultimately it's just been for a bit of fun and to see if the quality of the mixes I put together can be improved by something as like harmoic mixing.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

cloutier wrote:isn't that sh!t meant for top 40 remix dj's and trance dj's? damn near all of those guys have predetermined sets because they're all about harmonic mixing.
Hi Cloutier, have a quick check over my other replies, this is just for fun at home putting a mix CD together, I've been ejoing plaing around with it last weekend when I finally thought I'd note up some tracks and try to bust a mix using the technique to see if it's actually better / different.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

don't like the idea that much. Initially it sounds better, because it's easy to listen to (it sounds very clean), but in most cases i found strange combinations to be sounding more interesting after a while