^ yes, it is! let's not forget 'bout the good guys from the FBI:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Megaupload takedown / the real backrounds

Post by Robot Criminal »

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201202 ... yway.shtml
something something.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Robot Criminal wrote:http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201202 ... yway.shtml
something something.
doesn't really have anything to do with our small underground business, does it?
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

^ it never truly had. Nevertheless, the topic justifies the link. This hole 'copyright/piracy/sopa/acta/hollywood' is being exaggerated IMHO and it's time that those who don't agree with these policies, stand up and make their voices heard. It really doesn't seem justified to me that a British student who only linked to pirated material should be extradited & trialled in 'the land of the free' [which has the most prison population, by the way] because there are no such laws in the UK. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkDH_WrrLNU

Oh, and by the way, back on the megaupload/Dotcom situation, excessive force being used for someone who hasn't one little mention in their criminal record makes me really question the 'morality' of the 'authorities' worldwide: http://www.3news.co.nz/Campbell-Live-en ... fault.aspx

Of course the truth may be more in the middle, it is most of the times, but I think the hollywood fat cats and their lobbyist and governmental slaves are taking it too far this time :?

And, by the way: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201202 ... ment.shtml
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Agreed, but at the same time some people make it seem that piracy have no impact at all, and then link to these articles about big companies still making money etc etc.
That just have nothing to do with the underground business who is the one being mostly affected by all of these problems we see, including piracy.

(please note I'm not saying that piracy is the one cause of all problems)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

and I have NO problem what so ever with sites like Megaupload being taken down, since the majority of their business seems to have been based on illegal software/music/movies. And I'm only happy that quite a lot of other sites have decided to stop their business because they are afraid they might be next.
pirimaipolymer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pirimaipolymer »

They took away all the stuff he owned in his leased mansion today it was on the local news in NZ. He's probably going to be extradited to the states for the charges against him. His house was full with pretty tacky stuff. All the cars, jetskis, custom chopper bike etc... taken.
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

patrick bateman wrote:That just have nothing to do with the underground business who is the one being mostly affected by all of these problems we see, including piracy.
there's no question there, Patrick. But it really is a two-bladed sword.

Case in point: I come from Romania, a country where the medium salary is about 300 euros.
Presuming that a young & up-coming artist does earn that much [most don't], and presuming that he's still living with his parents so doesn't have too many expenses, you can deduce that he still doesn't earn so much to spend on music as, say an artist that comes from a country where the medium salary is 1000 euros. Supposing, further on, that they're both full of talent, but one succeeds just because he legally had the advantage, and the other one didn't, just seems unfair to me, strictly because its [in my view] totally against the philosophy of art-learning and art making. The problem arises when our young pirating artist gets the liftoff needed but doesn't switch to giving back that what ignited his liftoff in the first place. Even though he may still remain on the local scene for years, the international community will surely notice him for what he is.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that one's talents and/or abilities shouldn't be stopped by one's economic wealth, especially in this day&age. If, as a producer, my economic status would become stable, I really wouldn't mind that some kid is copying my stuff and would later on become one of the artists I admire the most. It would actually be an honor for me :)