Sneak Peek At The Future Of NI TRAKTOR

- open
Harlesden
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Sneak Peek At The Future Of NI TRAKTOR

Post by Harlesden »

No wonder this site has died on it's arse.

Miserable fuckers
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

cloutier wrote:more wankers chopping up shitty tracks and calling themselves geniuses. can't wait.
+1

I wonder when all this bullshit stops and things go back to basics?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

well at least it's making digital DJing harder. you might need some performance skills to use that. but if you did why don't you play live? surely it's more rewarding and people are going to respect you a lot more.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Wow, some people in this thread are rather old and curmudgeonly arn't they? Any time anything related to digital DJing crops up - they throw a fit.

Yes, you do get people who 'abuse' it, use it to auto-match their songs and prance around doing Jesus poses, instead of maximizing the use of the technology to do interesting things. But, there are others that are using it in smarter and more interesting ways. This hate-on for technology makes some of you guys seem like you are simply threatened because you are unable/unwilling to 'get with the times' and update your skills to take advantage of new advancements that have come about in recent years.

Be one thing if your attitude was "Hey, neat - but not for me. I like my setup and don't feel the need to change - it serves me well and lets me express myself in a way I find enjoyable", but when your attitude is "piss over anyone who uses it" ...the attitude comes off much differently.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I don't see f*ing around with music till wits' end as creativity. Okei if you have some boring loopy-poopy tracks but I actually enjoy, you know, music. All this recent (ok and not so recent) stuff be it pop or whatnot mostly comprises of cuts and edits and constant jerking around. And now we have more tools to emphasize on this.
ok I'm venting.
off.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I'll give an analogy to early web development: There was once a time where JavaScript was frowned upon. Developers and users alike would cry "It's annoying! it's only use is for pop-ups, advertisements, resizing windows and annoying the user". Fast-forward to today, and you would need to be living under a rock to deny the positive impact that JavaScript has had on web-development, and how it has enabled people to create web pages and applications that were not possible before.

I think some of the current trends with DJing and digital technology is blurring the lines between a DJ set and a 'live' set. With Abelton, traktor, things like machine, this new gadget - it's getting easier to make your own cuts/edits of tracks, take loops and pieces of your own productions and bring them in ways that were not possible before.

'Back in the Day', many of the old guys would have custom edits of songs that they would play out in clubs - but that was because they had access to a studio and the means to get them pressed to wax so they could play them out. Now, pretty much anyone has access to do the same thing - as they don't need to have the means to get a physical copy of it. As with any new technology/trend - it's going to be going through some growing pains - but that doesn't diminish the possibilities that it can have.
gysy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gysy »

shypht wrote:Be one thing if your attitude was "Hey, neat - but not for me. I like my setup and don't feel the need to change - it serves me well and lets me express myself in a way I find enjoyable", but when your attitude is "piss over anyone who uses it" ...the attitude comes off much differently.

I totally agree with this one. I also started with the basics a lot of years ago and it was nice that time, but the last couple of years i felt like i was wasting time with beatmatching, time that i could use for other stuff.
I started 3 years ago with traktor, but is started syncing 8 months ago and since then there a new world of possibilities opened for me!
I think if you are really want te experiment with your music during your set, you don't have time to do silly sh!t behind the booth, i don't have that time!
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

aslong as you "experiment" for yourself, i guess no one cares :)