Laptop fan cleaning.

- open
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Laptop fan cleaning.

Post by eggnchips »

My laptop CPU was often reaching high temperatures so I put the vacuum nozzle up to the fan opening (with Laptop off) to clean some dust.
Yes, I know some of you are going to say I am crazy as this will for sure damage the fan bearings, but I didn't let it spin too long nor too fast.
Anyway since then my laptop had been working like a dream. I am sure that the lack of dust and lighter load on the fan will help it anyway in the long run, even if the bearings were given a good ride.
What you think guys? Apart from taking the thing to pieces, what other options do we have?
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Laptop fan cleaning.

Post by agodi »

The vacuum will only remove a small amount of the dust, you've got to open it up to really get at the problem. I recently replaced the fan on my laptop with the aid of youtube videos and it was actually straight forward enough.
One thing I discovered while doing it was that theres a layer thermal paste that creates the contact between the fan and the processor. This thermal paste gradually dries out over time and becomes less efficent so your processor will start to overheat despite a fully working fan. Re-applying fresh thermal paste will keep your laptop running fast and will actually increase the lifetime of your processor.