RA top 100 lists

- open
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

RA top 100 lists

Post by Hutch »

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1252

The comments were a great read at work today.

Edit:The live list is usually always a lot closer and less people bitch.
Last edited by Hutch on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: RA top 100 2011

Post by Marcus Stork »

Where is Armin van Buuren and Tiesto?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

yep comments were great.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

::BLM:: wrote:yep comments were great.
+1.

There's no point in taking these polls seriously to be honest, especially in the "where was [insert my favourite DJ (or producer who doesn't even DJ) here"???]" sense. It's pretty easy to understand why members of a certain site vote for certain DJs and daft to assume that it's much of a reflection on their DJing ability, which is a hard thing to quantify anyway. At least the RA poll is a bit more respectable than DJ Mag's but still.

As one astute soul did mention in the thread these sorts of things can be damaging to the industry when they result in the (mostly quite average) top DJs becoming more and more in demand and overpaid, otherwise they don't seem to do much apart from get the keyboard warriors going.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I always thought Jamie Jones was a warm up DJ who only played in London.
I didn't think anyone actually went to a party to see him play.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tone-def wrote:I always thought Jamie Jones was a warm up DJ who only played in London.
I didn't think anyone actually went to a party to see him play.
Maybe in london... but everywhere else its kind of the main event. His label is probably #1 in the view of most of the resident advisor crowd. It takes more than just blending records together and moving an audience. Great marketing is helpful too... its all part of the complete jamie jones package. well deserved but the same can probably go for every DJ on that list.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

As many people have said in the comments, the whole Hot Creations/Crosstown/whatever deep, summery sound has been massive lately for better or worse and Jamie's one of the main poster boys for it. And RA has certainly been pushing that sound.

Most of it doesn't appeal to me at all but there's no point in me wasting my energy complaining though, I'd rather spend it getting better at DJing and producing stuff that I'm more into ;) At the end of the day it's OK to dance to so it's not the worst thing to put up with on a night out (which is just as well cos if you go to most new "house/techno" nights in, say, Glasgow, you certainly will hear it...)