RA top 100 lists

- open
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: RA top 100 lists

Post by jessejames »

Themis wrote:what i meant is this sound with some electronic elements but then suddenly cheesy vocals come in, tale of us for example
It's because "normal" clubbers can now "get" the music. In Chicago, there has been an influx of new people to underground parties that weren't there before. I believe it has a lot to do with the accessibility of the music; vocals being a large part of that. Underground parties used to be strictly for the freaks.

Whether this is a good or bad thing, only time will tell.
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

Yeah i think visionquest as a whole are really really good especially shaun actually!

Not really feelin Hot creations and crosstown rebels, jus for the wannabes an the ibiza crewcut muppets!!
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

jessejames wrote:
Themis wrote:what i meant is this sound with some electronic elements but then suddenly cheesy vocals come in, tale of us for example
It's because "normal" clubbers can now "get" the music. In Chicago, there has been an influx of new people to underground parties that weren't there before. I believe it has a lot to do with the accessibility of the music; vocals being a large part of that. Underground parties used to be strictly for the freaks.

Same goes for Denver Colorado. The scene is growing for sure. Has its + and -'s.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

jessejames wrote:

That's great news Jesse! I just can't get the whole cheesy crap that's getting attention. I mean, as a producer, I can't imagine getting in my studio and want to make music like that... there's almost something wrong to this, beyond tastes but I know i have to be judgmental.

As for Montreal, that whole vocal house-disco was huge in 1995-1997. Akufen was making some of that stuff under various aliases but we all went to minimal around 1998 because we felt there's was a huge lack of "experience". What I mean here, to me, anything vocal is music but has no experience feeling, something where you travel through sound, feel the psychedelics. I guess it will come back, through the back door. That's only good news I find.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

nothing happens straightaway, maybe those "muppets" will start coming because of the hot creations stuff and tomorrow they'll discover the levon vincents and perlons and so on. It's rare that people get into a scene thanks to the 'difficult' stuff.

It's evolution, and the only ones complaining are older geezers who want things to be the way it's always been (and they try to sell their own taste as "the one true quality"). As i said, I'm very happy that Jamie Jones and Maya Jane Cole made it so far up the list, because that means that change is finally coming and that the people who used to be "sure bets" now will also have to up their game to stay relevant, or make way for the new blood. It's been too long that you could predict without thinking what the names would be in the top 10. And especially in dance music, where the core idea is to innovate and find new sounds or different approaches, it's a downer if things remain the same for too long.
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

pheek wrote:
jessejames wrote:

That's great news Jesse! I just can't get the whole cheesy crap that's getting attention. I mean, as a producer, I can't imagine getting in my studio and want to make music like that... there's almost something wrong to this, beyond tastes but I know i have to be judgmental.

As for Montreal, that whole vocal house-disco was huge in 1995-1997. Akufen was making some of that stuff under various aliases but we all went to minimal around 1998 because we felt there's was a huge lack of "experience". What I mean here, to me, anything vocal is music but has no experience feeling, something where you travel through sound, feel the psychedelics. I guess it will come back, through the back door. That's only good news I find.
maybe there's a huge lack of 'experience' if the vocals are awful and the song is weak. there's nothing wrong with vocals in dance music per se, it's just harder to pull off. the problem w/ all this stuff isn't the fact that it has vocals, it's that the songs are rubbish
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

pheek wrote:
jessejames wrote:

Heh a lot has changed since we had you and Lee for that night way back in 2006!