Antwerp clubs

- open
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Antwerp clubs

Post by zentex »

i'll be in Antwerp for few days next week, would like to know any cool clubs to visit...experimental music, techno, house events etc? i'm not intrested in fancy mainstream places, so anything laid back and underground, please. got sunday off, so saturday night i'll have time for some belgium beer and clubbing.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Antwerp clubs

Post by PsyTox »

Antwerp and underground... good luck in the fashion capital :D

The best club is definitely Cafe d'Anvers. Depends a bit on the night, but they do have some cool things on most of the time. Most other things are quite commercial, Noxx is the worst of em all unless you like Ministry Of Sound meets R&B and elektrotrash. :) Sometimes okay: Petrol.

Do yourself a favor: jump on a train to Brussels instead (only about 30 minutes by train or car): Fuse Club has massive stuff every week (next Saturday Ostgut Label Night with Fengler and Klock) and there are plenty of great events big and small. Also often great bookings lately at Libertine-Supersport. Shittiest name for a club ever, but great location and a booker who knows what's good.
Too much to mention but Resident Advisor and Nightcode.be have pretty much all the events listed.
Brussels is a bit dangerous in certain areas and the subway so Fuse is a pretty good bet to be honest: close to the Brussel-Midi station. And if you don't like that (which would suprise me) it's not far from other stuff like Recyclart, Wax, etc etc.
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

thanks for the tips! seems like cafe d'anvers got some 20:20 vision night with maya jane coles and ralph lawson (who i don't care for at all) on friday , and saturday nobody i'd heard of. going to brussels might be too much hassle, because it might be hard to convince my friends to travel that far for some sweaty techno club ;) but if find some some nice bus timetables i might try that...ostgut night is interesting. anyway, i'm going to fly to and from brussels so i will at least have some time to make a stop at Dr.Vinyl for some err...vinyl.
PsyTox wrote:Antwerp and underground... good luck in the fashion capital :D

The best club is definitely Cafe d'Anvers. Depends a bit on the night, but they do have some cool things on most of the time. Most other things are quite commercial, Noxx is the worst of em all unless you like Ministry Of Sound meets R&B and elektrotrash. :) Sometimes okay: Petrol.

Do yourself a favor: jump on a train to Brussels instead (only about 30 minutes by train or car): Fuse Club has massive stuff every week (next Saturday Ostgut Label Night with Fengler and Klock) and there are plenty of great events big and small. Also often great bookings lately at Libertine-Supersport. Shittiest name for a club ever, but great location and a booker who knows what's good.
Too much to mention but Resident Advisor and Nightcode.be have pretty much all the events listed.
Brussels is a bit dangerous in certain areas and the subway so Fuse is a pretty good bet to be honest: close to the Brussel-Midi station. And if you don't like that (which would suprise me) it's not far from other stuff like Recyclart, Wax, etc etc.
JasperW89
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JasperW89 »

I can only agree with PsyTox. Both cafe d'anvers (if you pick a good night) and fuse are great clubs! For this saturday I think your best bet would be fuse: Ben Klock and Marcel Fengler in room 1, Federico Molinari and Cezar in room 2.

La Rocca can also be nice if you go on a sunday (this sunday with reboot) but I wouldn't call this underground :P
kgw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kgw »

Brussels is dangerous in places, really? Never struck me as that type of place. I walked from Fuse to the other end of the city centre when I was there at about 5/6am and had no trouble or even saw anyone.

I went to Cafe Capital (Antwerp) on NYE a couple of years ago and had a great time. Geoffroy (Mugwump / Kompakt) absolutely smashed it. Shame the club got burnt down.

I realise this post offers no help. The one thing I noticed about clubbing in Belgium is how enthusiastic the crowd is. Puts the crowds in the UK to shame for the most part.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

depends largely on the area really. you can be safe in one place and a few streets further you're in a no-go zone. But I guess -as in most major cities- it just depends mostly on yourself if you're safe or not.

They are rebuilding Cafe Capital btw :)

As for the crowds: must 've been a loooong time since you visited Belgium, because nowadays everyone stands still, most (minimal / house) parties are snoozefests. Unless you are at an electro/dubstep party, where the crowd is going absolutely crazy sometimes, including crowdsurfing and moshpits etc :) Shitty music, but awesome vibe.

I hope this improves in 2012... which reminds me we should start that traditional topic again.
kgw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kgw »

^ It was a couple of years ago. I went to Brussels Electronic Music Festival (first year and second year). First year was great. What happened to that festival, do you know?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I guess as usual in this country: events that select "too difficult" music go belly-up after the first edition. :)