Eliminating turntable feedback (club environment)

- open
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Eliminating turntable feedback (club environment)

Post by Del »

I've been having some issues of late with feedback from the 1210's in a new venue I've been doing nights in. First time I used some sponge, it worked with one deck but the other was still dodgy so I put it down to the deck not being earthed properly. Would this cause feedback?

Then last night I took the trouble of bringing two paving slabs along to the gig with me... No issues with jumping needles but a hell of a lot of feedback still.

Has anyone got any sure fire ways of dealing with this kind of thing? It's a small venue and the monitor nor speakers are what you would classify as being too close to the turntables although the two bass bins sit on the ground.

The set up is a wooden desk/table on top of a wooden stage raised about 1ft from the ground which again is a wooden floor.

Any help appreciated!
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Eliminating turntable feedback (club environment)

Post by Kiani »

Interesting topic: I've got similar problems!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

reminds me of this...

Mr. Scruff breaking it down to something that works!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

get eight ashtrays and a bag of rubber bands. wrap the rubberbands around the ashtrays to create a spring / suspension system that the decks and rest on and float. really helps with skipping and feedback, and its cheaper than buying isonoe feet for each deck.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

you can also take racquet balls and cut them in half with a bandsaw and put them under the feet.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

If you already got concrete slabs, you can put the tennis/racquet balls underneath the slabs. We had some issues with skipping in one club and the concrete slabs on their own sorted it out.

Is the table pretty solid? Maybe the table carries on the vibration of the sub-woofers?

It's weird though, because the concrete slabs should do just fine for sorting out the resonance problems...
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

cloutier wrote:get eight ashtrays and a bag of rubber bands. wrap the rubberbands around the ashtrays to create a spring / suspension system that the decks and rest on and float. really helps with skipping and feedback, and its cheaper than buying isonoe feet for each deck.
Ah yes I really like this suggestion. I will give it a go. I've saw the racquet ball technique being used before as well.
tsankip wrote:If you already got concrete slabs, you can put the tennis/racquet balls underneath the slabs. We had some issues with skipping in one club and the concrete slabs on their own sorted it out.

Is the table pretty solid? Maybe the table carries on the vibration of the sub-woofers?

It's weird though, because the concrete slabs should do just fine for sorting out the resonance problems...
I thought the concrete slabs by themselves would have solved the problem myself to be honest but that wasn't the case. Next time I will support the feet of the table somehow, use the concrete slabs, do the ashtray / rubber band trick and use some of that soft foam mentioned in the Mr. Scruff video.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

what does your set consist of : digital or vinyl? a mixture of both? perhaps it's just a slight needle adjustment?

I once played an after hours earlier this year and playing my digital/serato outlet was fine, however when I attempted to play vinyl it made a significant humm/buzz. the needles I was using at the time were made more specifically for digital. * concord ortofon's

In fact come to think of it, the exact same thing happened to me at como's, and @ tv bar as well. @ comos the needles were made-so for digital. @ tv the same thing. I was using my orotfon's and was getting a humm/buzz sound and rick wilhite had shure 44 needles : more-so for vinyl .... I put on his needles and the my vinyl record played perfect.

does it play fine other nights? perhaps the entire sound system has a buzz, unless your playing off cd players.

best wishes in finding a solution.

:D