Do alot of people on here work full-time?

- open
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Do alot of people on here work full-time?

Post by soapz »

...I mean in the day? I used to have a job which was 9am-5pm Monday til Friday and sometimes on a Saturday. I saved enough money to buy my equipment etc but it drove me insane. I couldnt get the balance right and I found I didn't have enough spare time. Getting home everyday, after calming down for abit, having a shower, getting changed, cooking a meal, eating, tidying up, I would have hardly anytime to myself to listen to music or buy tracks and I would always be too tired from the long day to be thinking creatively.

It is just that I hear alot of people on forums talking about how they produce and/are DJing at partys etc but then also commenting on how work was today for example. There doesnt seem to be enough hours to live this double life?

At first I found myself staying up until 2am everyday so I could fit everything in (Ableton for example), but I would become more tired as the week progressed. I am just very interested to hear how other people's lifes differ with such similar interests. It seems that without a full-time wage, the equipment and software it takes to get your ideas out there are not possible to get. But in getting a job it takes away your time to create.

Im not working now. Instead I am going to go to University in London to study music. This is the only option for me as I crave learning new things and finding new ideas and also it will award me with alot of spare time to produce and DJ to the very best I can.

Its funny, I dont know about other places but it seems in England the clubbing scene is made up of mainly young people under the age of 25. Could this be because most people hit the age of 25 and are in full-time work and so lose their passion for the music simply because they havent got time for it?
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

I work Day and night- I serve tables at the moment-- so yeah- alot of hours actually- sometimes 14 hour days! :shock:
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

I work a full time job... its OK, I'd like more time to play music, but I don't do too bad...

when I get home first thing I do is spin tunes... food and everything else waits until later... plus that way I go to bed on a full stomach which I like... helps me drop off...

oh , and I'm 28... I think theres two things about the 25 cutoff... first, most people only have a 7 year clubbing shelf life anyway (18-25) though I'd say its less to do with jobs and more to do with people having kids/settling down... the people who just go out for fun stop, but the people who go out to hear music don't... :)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

The Remix wrote:I work Day and night- I serve tables at the moment-- so yeah- alot of hours actually- sometimes 14 hour days! :shock:

been there...i'm actually scared of any job now cos of that.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

I actualy don't work full time. I work in Clubs every week so i have to buy a new midi controler this month, monitors the next month and so on. But the good thing is i can do what i like (music) the whole day.

My mum asked me once if i can live from the music and i answered not yet from but FOR which is much more important to me ;)
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

I work fulltime 8 hours/day job.
I need to have the money for the loans on my apparment, and to be able to live and enjoy the rest in life. Good food, booze and partying etc.. Its kinda expensive living in Stockholm.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i work full time, i have a stressy job and it pays for the rent and my music addiction...
no way I can live off music, the double life is a necessity
and it's hard coming back home tired, cooking and settling in front of the pc, working on music or music-related stuff...

but that's life, not everyone can be like richie hawtin
suck it up :wink:
makka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by makka »

plaster wrote:
The Remix wrote:I work Day and night- I serve tables at the moment-- so yeah- alot of hours actually- sometimes 14 hour days! :shock:

been there...i'm actually scared of any job now cos of that.
Also in this situation, but thankfully not the hours as mentioned above...

Im currently in counceling sessions due to this experience! :lol: