Is too little information a good thing for a DJ mix?

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Is too little information a good thing for a DJ mix?

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I am not really a fan of the concept personally. For those of us who do not suffer from some form of track-browsing obsessive compulsive disorder which influences our decision making process it can be just plain annoying not to be able to find out the name of the the track. Instead you would have to flood message boards with track id requests and tiny snippits of the set which is just a waste of time and energy, for me and the others who id the tracks.

Besides, the artists should get credit for their music that the DJ is using. I used to post some of my mixes and such for people to download but I stopped doing it because I couldn't be bothered to take the time to compile a tracklist so I just stopped doing it because I felt that it was unfair to expect people to listen to them but not be able to find out what the tracks were. I felt like that because I really mostly listen to mixes to get exposure to new tracks. To me that seems kind of the point of DJing ya know. Like, here is some music I enjoy, I am going to play it for others and spread it around out there. If you find something good then it is worth passing on to others. A lot of others feel differently though. They like to horde their music and keep it under wraps, refusing to share it with most people, perhaps even going to far as to remove the labels from their records so that people can't walk up and see what tracks are spinning... chumps.

Guys who don't want to share the music they enjoy or think is good... well, i don't know how to describe it... it just seems so egotistical. I just can't pay it any respect. If something is good, it should be spread. Funny thing is that the kind of people who don't like to spread what is good are the same folks who constantly complain about the large volume of bad material out there. Its not hard to put those two things together and come to a conclusion.
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

What would Eric Cloutier do?

/WWECD?
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Just do a mix, if someone requests a track ID then give them it, not hard!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^^^

thats what I do.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Why should a DJ share tracks that he/she has spent hours/days/weeks/years of their life looking for, with people they don't even know?

I only play records, so the tunes are all that I have to set me apart from the next guy, what have I got to gain by letting the competition know what's in my bag?

I'm enjoy sharing music with people and encourage people to check out artists/mixes/labels that I like, but when it comes to records it has to be a 2 way thing for me.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Why should a DJ share tracks that he/she has spent hours/days/weeks/years of their life looking for, with people they don't even know?
because you should want to support the artists that you have found by allowing them more fans.

i know what you mean though. im always having this little battle with myself over it.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i share most of my tracks with everyone who asks me for it.

i dont put it out there for everyone to see. if someone wants a track really bad the least he can do is write a pm.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

::BLM:: wrote:
because you should want to support the artists that you have found by allowing them more fans.

i know what you mean though. im always having this little battle with myself over it.
I think this is much of the problem with the download market. back in vinyl days you could tell anyone what your tracks were (if it had a label! - oh the days!) chances are nobody would b able to get a copy anyway.
today you suffer people playing ALL your fuckin tunes the set before you. not that this has happened to me