Is too little information a good thing for a DJ mix?

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Is too little information a good thing for a DJ mix?

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I think DJs are the only people in the world besides the RIAA who get upset about the proliferation of good music.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

::BLM:: wrote:
Why should a DJ share tracks that he/she has spent hours/days/weeks/years of their life looking for, with people they don't even know?
because you should want to support the artists that you have found by allowing them more fans.

i know what you mean though. im always having this little battle with myself over it.
Of course I want the records to be successful and for the artist/label to profit from it, but it's so easy to get music and to find out about music now, there's tons of resources like RA, ssgs, forums etc that are open to everyone.

Finding a record that few people know about is so rare now that you would be a fool to share it.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I think DJs are the only people in the world besides the RIAA who get upset about the proliferation of good music.
They're the only people who can lose money/gigs from it, no?
translator
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by translator »

I found an extract of the mix. It's quite nice actually.

http://soundcloud.com/oslo-records/extr ... -to-norway
arroz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by arroz »

sounds good, too short unfourtunatelly...
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

just do what you want
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Ciaran_ wrote:just do what you want
Now there's an idea!
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

wax works wrote:Why should a DJ share tracks that he/she has spent hours/days/weeks/years of their life looking for, with people they don't even know?

I only play records, so the tunes are all that I have to set me apart from the next guy, what have I got to gain by letting the competition know what's in my bag?

I'm enjoy sharing music with people and encourage people to check out artists/mixes/labels that I like, but when it comes to records it has to be a 2 way thing for me.
to inspire the community around you. in the end : an inspired world is a better & happier place.

I used to have a rule if it was vinyl I may or may not share the id : if it was digital - no question I would..

now I'd rather see someone, even a stranger be inspired by something I presented to them. I think the individual would not forget where they got the id from and therefore it's a win / win situation. Since I've been collecting vinyl since 95, in the past for me it's a struggle to cough up a vinyl id with something that is over 5-10 years old.... however I think the term : pass it forward applies and perhaps sometime in the near future someone else will also pass it forward to help me be inspired.

* regarding the topic specifically.. if your an unknown artist you are really hurting yourself by at least not mention artist names that may in the mix at a bare minimum. We have over 23,000 members and to say someone is just going to randomly click on your link may apply however I truly believe it hurts you if you don't at least offer some type of information into your sound..