How do YOU go about getting gigs?

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How do YOU go about getting gigs?

Post by spage »

I used to promote my own parties with varying degrees of success, and to be honest the older I got (now 32) and the MORE underground I got, the less success. So now IF me and some DJ chums try to throw a little shindig we do it as a FREE party. But I was interested in starting a conversation about how all of YOU guys and gals on this forum go about getting gigs. To be honest, it's not about getting paid, it's about going to a really cool party (hopefully a bunch of my/our/your mates coming along for a good night out) and playing some tunes and have a great night with other like minded people till Nazi 'O' Clock in the morning.

So, how do you personally score your DJ sets at club nights around the capital and what advice can you give to a chap who's a competent underground house & techno DJ who has a lovely little FM pirate radio show every other Saturday afternoon and a rag tag bunch of mates who if you catch them on the "right" weekend will come out just for the excuse to have a dance, hang out with old friends and have a great time and stay up all night long?
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How do YOU go about getting gigs?

Post by Hutch »

Hmm, I'd use your pirate radio to start. Book the guys for it that are in the crews that are throwing the parties were you live. If you just DJ and don't make tracks that only gets you so far in the DJ game imo. Also try and find some after parties and bring your A game and try and play. Also trying to help out at events that aren't yours such as cleaning up and helping out goes a long way to and has worked for me.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Nice to hear back frmo you, cheers for sharing!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

support other dj's, producers and promtors. release music, run a label etc...

its not easy at all.

best thing to do is create something yourself that way you can be the leader rather then a follower.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Do a nice mix, or a few in different styles, and post them around the net.. Utilise current social networks such as facebook/soundcloud/twitter or whatever else you regularly post on. Try not to spam or else you'll come across as being desperate!

Depends how much self promotion you can stand really, I personally cant stand pushing myself upon people and would prefer to show them my music and for them to make the decision to ask me, rather than straight up hassling for gigs

edit: this doesn't make for a huge number of gigs, but gigs where your music is appreciated!
Utopian82
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Utopian82 »

Basically, get seriously involved with everyone. Make people remember you and be energetic but genuine... which isn't easy! :?
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Kiss some ass.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

this
::BLM:: wrote:support other dj's, producers and promtors. release music, run a label etc...

its not easy at all.

best thing to do is create something yourself that way you can be the leader rather then a follower.
or this
eggnchips wrote:Kiss some azz.
maybe this... but the web is full of good mixes, just posting mixes and making autopromotion helps less imo. i don't think it is useless, but less effective.
Ciaran_ wrote:Do a nice mix, or a few in different styles, and post them around the net.. Utilise current social networks such as facebook/soundcloud/twitter or whatever else you regularly post on. Try not to spam or else you'll come across as being desperate!