What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

Post by spage »

Guys, I'm tryign to find a link to something about the uproar Hawtin caused this week, supposedly slagging off vinyl users, I can't seem to find anything readable?
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

Post by roland »

something readable?? i don't know if anyone wrote a reflection about it, but here is the picture..

Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Someone reported the picture, and it got taken down. Him and all the fanboys were really upset. :green:
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

his response:
As I walked down the street in Berlin last night a DJ stepped in front of me pulling his records and it sparked off nostalgic thoughts of the past, present & future.

I never imagined the outpouring of emotions and comments from my post. My apologies to the DJ and anyone who took my comments personally - it categorically wasn't my intention to suggest vinyl DJs are in any ways 'lesser' than digital.

It's not a dislike for vinyl that drove my comment, only a love of technological innovation & development. Twenty years ago when I first started DJing I found turntables & vinyl extremely exciting and inspiring (as much as any of you now starting for the first time or those who continue this tradition). Respect to everyone who finds happiness and inspiration in doing anything creative or musical. But for me - personally - I enjoy the challenges that I find in new technologies: technologies that continue to challenge my skills & inspire my creativity.

Everyone has their own ideas in their head & each of us have the freedom to use whatever instrument they feel most comfortable with. For me, as everyone already knows, the turntable has been replaced by the computer & other gadgets that I use today. But as I said, that's just my opinion...

After all, isn't that why we call it Techno?
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

Uhh you got it wrong this what was really said:

"As I walked down the street in Berlin last night I remembered a picture of myself pulling records and it sparked off nostalgic thoughts of when people used to not judge me.

I never imagined the outpouring of emotions and comments from realizing that most DJ"s still use Vinyl and/or other methods to actually beatmatch. My apologies to myself and anyone who took my comments personally - it was my intention to suggest that 4 decks on Traktor takes a lot less skill and preparation when I play out over 300 times a year.

It's a dislike for actual beatmatching that drove my comment, only Ricardo and Papa Sven and most of my other "friends" still use the archaic form of mixing a + b. Twenty years ago when I first started DJing my sets were actually exciting and inspiring (as much as any of you now starting for the first time playing Traktor on 4 is way easier and guarentees sucess). Respect to everyone who finds happiness and inspiration keeping it real and actually still DJ's... But for me - personally - I enjoy the challenges that I find in pushing the same button every 3 minutes: technologies that continue to make things easier and reduce actual skills inspire my creativity.

I used to have creative ideas in my head that didn't involve a cube or my Richly Hawtin clothing line. Each of us have the freedom to think we are still relevant. We can use a computer, some clothes, a cube or whatever instrument to make things a lot easier and make a shitload more money. For me, as everyone use to know, the turntable has been replaced by tech house & other crappy mnimal that I use today to make a buck.

But as I said, that's just my opinion...

I'm Rich"
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

why do people even care about this jerk anymore
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

s.k. wrote:why do people even care about this jerk anymore
i don't care anymore since he (co-owner of beatport) sat down outside between the trees with his scarf and told labelstartes to avoid vinyl cause it is a pain in the ass..
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

being able to beatmatch doesn't make you creative.

can't believe the kind of furore this has caused...
there's far more important and interesting things to worry/protest/fight against