What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

- open
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

Post by adam »

These conversations are dumb.

I'm not talking about the individuals posting here, just the idea of worshipping one format or another in general.
Vinyl is rad. So is digital and all the new things it lets you do.

Shut up and dance.

(Or sit around talking about how some successful guy commented on a photo about some guy lugging a bunch of stuff around when he doesn't have to anymore. )
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

A few of my friends who switched to DJing with Ableton or Traktor have gone back to using Technics. I imagine Hawtin will eventually crave the manual beatmatch again just like they did.
Personally, I'm considering an S4 or some V7's, but I don't ever plan to ditch my Technics. I'll probably go with the V7 to keep some platter-feel.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
ChrisCV wrote:being able to beatmatch doesn't make you creative.t
<sarcasm>Ovbiously you don't understand the creative potential of mixing on vinyl. When you drop a track and its too slow you speed it up, and when its too fast you slow it down. Come one man, can't you see the interesting possibilities this provides?</sarcasm>
ChrisCV wrote:can't believe the kind of furore this has caused... there's far more important and interesting things to worry/protest/fight against
Indeed! I would be more inclined to protest invasions of our privacy by corporations and government personally, or lobbyist influence on government's decisions or yada yada (which covers pretty much everything else). Who cares about someone's choice of DJ medium.

Let me be honest... if I am listening to a DJ in a live performance I am probably staring at some chicks azz thinking... look at that! Daaaaaanm! I don't really care what he is playing on. Vinyl? So what? Chances are that I couldn't tell the difference given the mediocre sound system anyways. The point is that there are so many better things to do in life (like look at chicks asses) then mull over the effects of digital vs vinyl which are fed into the same mediocre sound system.

The problem is that too many people care about the DJs and what the DJs are doing. Its not really that important. They play (mostly) other people's music for money. End of story. Sure they help create an environment, sure they drive the party but what does that really add up to in the end? Lets be honest, most DJs are douchbags who deserve little credit in life for anything they have accomplished. Name me a single DJ who has solved a difficult world problem? Or a stumping mathematical conundrum, Or a medical mystery, or a mystery of the physical universe? The answer is probably none... because if a DJ had done that the fact they were a DJ would have been something they would have not admitted.

These people play music just to make your average person dance... end of story. Accept it for what it is. All else is kind of irrelevant.
Reply of the year, and this is coming from the hardcore villalobos fan i am :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

I would say that is mostly true, but would like to point an example of a DJ who really seems to try making a difference. Jay Haze is very involved in charity work,raising money for those in need. I remember he was playing at a party where the entrance fee was a toy. These toys would then go on to be donated to poor children (maybe hospitals or schools or something, I don't really remember)

Also when Japan was hit by the tsunami and earthquake disasters, I remember there were a lot of DJs doing charity parties. I remember Greenhorn Records made an album for helping Japan.

I do agree with you, don't take me wrong. Things are just never as black and white as we sometimes would like to think. There will always be exceptions.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

@Maiyal

Well, there are exceptions to every rule right? ;)
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

/washedup DJS are washed UP.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

god forbid if someone has a sense of humor ... or even more commonly so... taken out of context.....
Alert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alert »

Hutch wrote:Uhh you got it wrong this what was really said:

"As I walked down the street in Berlin last night I remembered a picture of myself pulling records and it sparked off nostalgic thoughts of when people used to not judge me.

I never imagined the outpouring of emotions and comments from realizing that most DJ"s still use Vinyl and/or other methods to actually beatmatch. My apologies to myself and anyone who took my comments personally - it was my intention to suggest that 4 decks on Traktor takes a lot less skill and preparation when I play out over 300 times a year.

It's a dislike for actual beatmatching that drove my comment, only Ricardo and Papa Sven and most of my other "friends" still use the archaic form of mixing a + b. Twenty years ago when I first started DJing my sets were actually exciting and inspiring (as much as any of you now starting for the first time playing Traktor on 4 is way easier and guarentees sucess). Respect to everyone who finds happiness and inspiration keeping it real and actually still DJ's... But for me - personally - I enjoy the challenges that I find in pushing the same button every 3 minutes: technologies that continue to make things easier and reduce actual skills inspire my creativity.

I used to have creative ideas in my head that didn't involve a cube or my Richly Hawtin clothing line. Each of us have the freedom to think we are still relevant. We can use a computer, some clothes, a cube or whatever instrument to make things a lot easier and make a shitload more money. For me, as everyone use to know, the turntable has been replaced by tech house & other crappy mnimal that I use today to make a buck.

But as I said, that's just my opinion...

I'm Rich"
adam wrote:These conversations are dumb.
I'm not talking about the individuals posting here, just the idea of worshipping one format or another in general.
Vinyl is rad. So is digital and all the new things it lets you do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: