UK Funky - Discuss . . .

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

UK Funky - Discuss . . .

Post by spage »

Basically I can't get my head around this music, which is a bit daft as I have lots of classic old skool house & garage from around '95 - 98 when it was really good and that itself was a bastardization of house and garage and dub and all other sorts of dance music but pitched up to +6 or +8 etc however this UK funky just doesn't go down well with me. I am assuming it'll be a flash in the pan . . . Anyone know about this music, I'd be interested to hear about it and what people think and where exactly it came from and also where it's sold as I hear it on the pirates and have heard it in the second room at back to 95 over here in London when I went there for a night out on Boxing Day earlier this year. basically is it bit of an embarrassment or are people genuinely behind this music?
quelquechose
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: UK Funky - Discuss . . .

Post by quelquechose »

I believe Juno sells it, and you can find out all about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_funky
I'm not going to give an opinion on whether I like it or not after my previous faux pas.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it's kind of a love hate thing for me.

Love

Hate

trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

UK Funky gets a similar bad rap as dubstep.
I remember back when my friends and I would make fun of "speed garbage" it was pretty much the same story. There's plenty of good music, but it's being overshadowed by gimmicky stuff.
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

Future garage?

2 step?

Anti bro-step?

Techno 2 step?

Slowly but surely.

The near distant future.

The good:

The bad:

Lets all face it. Techno and house is getting to easy. This is the future :) Now only If I can mix it :)
smte
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by smte »

i disagree with hutch, night slugs have had some sick releases in past couple years,

their vision of 'uk funky' has more obvious grime influences than other labels, but i guess uk funky came from a love of the syncopated rhythms of dubstep but the slower tempo of funky makes it more dance floor orientated. it's a uk ting

2562 has definitely got his sh!t together and i don't think he gets enough credit, consistently produces forward thinking music!

spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

The response to my thread was better than I expected, when I get my cans on I am going to check out all those links, get me some better ideas of the UK funky sound and form my own opinion.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

well where i'm from you typically see the djs that first liked ed banger going more to the uk funky style. it's pretty safe music to play out if you ask me and you have that grimey sound which pleases the dubstep/dnb crowd too. Most things I've heard on this thread are not my thing at all, but e.g. that actress track is nice, but i wouldn't call it uk funky really