Blatant sampling. Good? bad? Or fun?

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Blatant sampling. Good? bad? Or fun?

Post by Robot Criminal »

also check eduardo de la calle / analog solutions. Quite nicely getting away with sampling Craig and whatnot
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Blatantly ripping off a techno track for your own techno track is bullshit. Blatantly using a pop tune sample can work, but usually doesn't. Especially, if you're using a loop without any type of creative arrangement or editing.

When I sample records, it's always old tunes from the 70's I bought at the thrift store or used record shop. It's usually a band I've never heard before and I just like the cover or track names. There's way too much stuff to sample out there to pull out some blatantly obvious sh!t. It's all about flipping a boring church organ into a funky ass house tune. Not looping up a led zepplin tune everybody knows or something like that.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

These aren't sampling each other, they just all use the same sample pack to compose beats.

This particular vocal sample is from a pack called Battery by Native Instruments, Synthetic Kits > Sintheti > auh.wav

This happens all the time, it's not ripping anyone off, just somewhat lazy I suppose.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

haha, thats quite embarrasing

the only recent producer i think that does amazing sampling is burial imo, there was a video on youtube that im sure most have seen anyway but it played all the samples he used. It ended up been removed probably because it'd get the label into some sh!t, deepchords hash bar loops has some nice samples from field recordings, theo, moodymann n that are real good samplers too.
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Came across a pretty good site that lists where people got their samples from. Don't know if theres many house/techno entries but there's a few.
http://www.whosampled.com/
I don't think theres anything wrong with sampling as long as its done well and creates something new.
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/7 ... Sunflower/
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

I thought this when i heard the space jam track!! But then after reading I think it was kind of the theme of the vinyl release. I dont think he was trying to get away with it. It said it was a homage to his in heroes or something in the release writing. Also the tolfrey remix on the b-side didnt even bother trying to hide the carl craig sample..

http://www.decks.de/t/jimmy_maheras-space_jam/bxn-hg
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Bit of badass Estonian sampling :D

hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

This one's ridiculous.