Is Techno Dying?

- open
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Is Techno Dying?

Post by shypht »

hairblz wrote:Its interesting that online techno fans seem to have completely different tastes to real life techno fans.

I guess it makes sense - if you're the type to go on music forums, you're perhaps more likely to enjoy smoking joints while listening to dub techno than your average minimal/hawtin fan.

Anyone else notices this?
I like minimal/hawtin, I also like smoking joints and listening to dub techno :P But, I think I get what you are saying, but it's more

- There are people who are more out to party, and just want to have a good time - flashing lights, a steady beat and loud music is enough for them - music is secondary, and have more of a passive interest (ie: take what is given instead of looking for themselves).
- There are people who are out for the music, they are the fans, the geeks, who will go home and post about it on forums, search for new music themselfs and have an active instead of passive interest in the music.

But, IMO - there is a room, and a necessity for both groups of people in the scene.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

shypht wrote: I like minimal/hawtin, I also like smoking joints and listening to dub techno :P But, I think I get what you are saying, but it's more

- There are people who are more out to party, and just want to have a good time - flashing lights, a steady beat and loud music is enough for them - music is secondary, and have more of a passive interest (ie: take what is given instead of looking for themselves).
- There are people who are out for the music, they are the fans, the geeks, who will go home and post about it on forums, search for new music themselfs and have an active instead of passive interest in the music.

But, IMO - there is a room, and a necessity for both groups of people in the scene.
You hit the nail on the head there dude. Take my girlfriend and I for example. She likes techno, likes going out dancing, etc. In fact, she likes going out a lot more than I do (that's another story though). Most of the time she doesn't know the headliner we're going to see. She definitely doesn't know any releases they may have or labels they're on, but she get's nuts and dances her ass off just the same. Obviously, since I'm on here posting, I'm pretty much the opposite. But, we can still enjoy the music the same and that's great. A room full of chin strokers (like me) is boring.

As far as techno dying, I don't think so. As mentioned, it's always evolving and taking new forms. For me, it's the freshest genre of music out there. So many styles and so much exciting music going on right now.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

techno will never die, you know why? Even though everyone wants to pretend it's some futuristic sh!t, it's the most basic form of music and people have been dancing to monotone rhythm ever since one monkey started banging on a hollow tree. That's the feeling I always have when I'm dancing my ass off at awakenings :) At the dawn of mankind, rhythm was there and at the end of mankind rhythm will be there.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Some great replies here guys - Think I should start more topics like this to get the ideas and thoughts going.

Definitely with the person that says you need people just dancing and enjoying themselves rather than people looking technically at DJ's\Nights. A mix is the idea world I suppose!
smte
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by smte »

there seems to be a lot of releases in the uk at the moment that hint that some areas of the scene are progressing towards a more techno influenced sound. george fitzgerald's RA podcast is a good example of this, http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast- ... spx?id=274. i guess there were a lot of producers from techno backgrounds who were also releasing stuff into the dubstep/early uk funky scene a few years ago (imo some of the most interesting releases were from such producers, check T++'s wireless) and so the influence may be starting to invert. anyway that's only my two cent, definitely not a bad thing whatever a gwan. the uk bass music scene is the most exciting thing about being british at the moment!

edit: should have read the thread instead of skipping, but yeah basically what was said in earlier posts about the dubstep scenes progression from a few years ago into this tech/808 sound. blawan and pariah's collaborative work as 'karenn' is cave-stomping material!