DJing applications - Third Party Plugins

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

DJing applications - Third Party Plugins

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I think it is unfortunate that DJing software platforms do not offer any kind of API for plugins. I sometimes get neat ideas for plugins to DJing programs but in my research I have not been able to find any info on developing extensions of DJing programs. I think its kind of short sighted on the part of the companies who produce DJing software. There is so much functionality that could be taken advantage of but they refuse to open up. It sucks even more when you consider that these companies will most likely only ever develop the bare essentials they need to produce a profitable product. The only FOSS software out there is MIXXX as far as I know and its not very widely accepted in the professional community from what I can tell.

I guess this is just a gripe post but I wish that of the big players (the proprietary guys) would develop a proper API for third party applications related to DJ software. I can't see any downside to it other than a few bad plugins that nobody will use perhaps.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: DJing applications - Third Party Plugins

Post by patrick bateman »

There is this cheap ugly dj system that can use vst's (can't remember the name of it right now though).
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

patrick bateman wrote:There is this cheap ugly dj system that can use vst's (can't remember the name of it right now though).
Torq?

I've got Torq Conectiv, it's good for what it is (i.e. substantially cheaper than Traktor or Serato). Interface is damn ugly though. So yeah cheap and ugly is about right, I've got plenty mileage out of it though :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

simonb wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:There is this cheap ugly dj system that can use vst's (can't remember the name of it right now though).
Torq?

I've got Torq Conectiv, it's good for what it is (i.e. substantially cheaper than Traktor or Serato). Interface is damn ugly though. So yeah cheap and ugly is about right, I've got plenty mileage out of it though :)
Yes, that was the one :)
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I have seen that Torq around but I have never tried it out. I wasn't really thinking about effect plugins so much as something more in the realm of an different kind of interface for track organization / selection... sort of. I have kind of had this neat idea in the back of my mind for a few months. Probably take a lot of work though. May not be worth the effort.