montreal mnml tech scene?!

- open
nightley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

montreal mnml tech scene?!

Post by nightley »

ez there, im relocating to montreal in september (for a minimum 1 year stay)and i was wondering if some of you knew where i could go dancing to dcent techno/house/minimal. i've looked up on RA and found two interesting spots : stereo and salon daome. How good are these two?! also if you have any other address i should visit, please share :-) thanks in advance
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: montreal mnml tech scene?!

Post by LouisVee »

Those two are probably the best spot in town.

Stereo is an afterhours, open from 1:00 to 8-10:00 a.m, friday and saturday only (with some exceptions). The capacity is probably from 1000 to 1500 (unofficial estimation!). There's an international DJ at least every week, and it's mainly house on Saturday (Peter Rauhofer, Victor Calderone, etc). I prefer the fridays, it's more deep/tech house, etc... There's sometimes techno, with Ben Klock two months ago for exemple.

And Salon Daomé is more an intimate place, the capacity is 300 I think. It's open from tuesday to sunday, They book regularly interesting DJs/Producer (Cassy, Barem, Timewriter, Cats'n'dogz, etc). I got a gig there on september 20th, you should come!

There's other clubs too, like club U.N., good soundsystem, interesting nights like Delano Smith for exemple.
There's also Circus Afterhours (Stereo's main enemy!), where you can have vocal house nights, trance nights, or techno nights also, with bookings like Pan-Pot, John Digweed or Joris Voorn. They got the Funktion-one soundsystem since april... so the sound is very good

Voilà!
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

LouisVee wrote: Stereo is an afterhours, open from 1:00 to 8-10:00 a.m, friday and saturday only (with some exceptions). The capacity is probably from 1000 to 1500 (unofficial estimation!).

And Salon Daomé is more an intimate place, the capacity is 300 I think. It's open from tuesday to sunday, They book regularly interesting DJs/Producer (Cassy, Barem, Timewriter, Cats'n'dogz, etc). I got a gig there on september 20th, you should come!
Yup Stereo & Daome are the two main spots that I go out. There also is UN which is a nice club and has a good sound system but get liquored up before going because drinks are $$$ or get to know the guy throwing the party ;) also the crowd there is usually divided between bottle service people and music lovers. But that hasn't stopped me from having a good time! Stacey Pullen is actually playing there tonight.

Im lucky to have played at Stereo and on its renown sound system a few times now, and i highly recommend you check the club out.

I also am apart of the tuesday nights at Salon Daome called SAFARI and am actually playing with Louisvee this tuesday coming up! Its a great spot with nice decor (you'll see why Safari is a fitting name for a night there), relaxed vibe, affordable drinks and a crowd thats up to hear whatever you throw at them. But its a place for all different types of house music, not much techno being played there (when u see the place you'll understand why). The place i heard is also getting a new sound system in August so thats a plus.

Besides that there's a few other places in town that are decent (Cherry & Velvet spring to mind) but IMO the two best spots are the ones you've mentioned.

Hope to meet you when you're here, the scene can always benefit from new people !
Last edited by b-ran on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

b-ran wrote:
I also am apart of the tuesdays at Salon Daome called SAFARI and am actually playing with Louisvee
Yeahh! Can't wait for next tuesday ;)
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

In the summertime there's the Mutek festival, and (almost?) every weekend there's Piknic electronik. Highly recommend going, with good weather the park is a beautiful place to spend a nice afternoon with good music.
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

oh yeah i forgot to mention piknic...oops!

http://piknicelectronik.com/
nightley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nightley »

Excellent! thanks everyone for your answers, will defo check out the picnik electronik thing, looks rly nice. oh and to louisvee : i'll try to come on sept 20th :-)
1nfinitezer0
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Maiyal wrote:In the summertime there's the Mutek festival, and (almost?) every weekend there's Piknic electronik. Highly recommend going, with good weather the park is a beautiful place to spend a nice afternoon with good music.
these need a "double plus good" imho.

i just moved here too, and it's awesome how much talent comes through. even though there doesn't seem to be a weekly techno night. other places to check out (not always mnml, but still good) are:
-Laika (cafe/bar with awesome staff, good food, and knowledgeable djs. akufen plays tuesdays),
-the Belmont (usually more live acts; Mathew Dear and Mount Kimbie recently)
-Societe des Art Techologiques (a variety of artsy stuff to electrohouse banger nights)

not intending to hijack the thread, but it's kinda related: can any locals recommend more techno and house names from this region worth looking into?
dj + producer : dub techno house etc: [url]http://flavors.me/1nfinitezer0[/url] - [url]http://soundcloud.com/1nfinitezer0[/url]