IS this forum dying?

- open
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: IS this forum dying?

Post by lem »

Took the words out of my mouth Patrick.

I don't ever remember a time when I didn't have to create dig. 2-3 hours is good going, I used to spend all day in record shops and still only come away with one record!
But for me, a big part of being a dj is the digging. If good music was easy to find we would never get any gigs!

It can be frustrating when you can't find any good music online. but rather a couple of hours wasted at home than a whole day in the shops?
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

patrick bateman wrote:I truly remember back in the big vinyl days in the 90ties and early 00's, where I would listen to 75-120 records in the record store and go home with 10 records maximum.
Using 2-3-4 hours in the store. Of course it was different and it was cool to network that way, but it's just different today and can seem a bit boring sitting behind the computer listening to short files on the internet, no matter if you're buying vinyl/mp3.
In the early 00's, I'd have several weeks where I bought 30-40 vinyls, and at least a couple of vinyls every week. Most of the vinyls were also bought online, after listening to the same short samples as I do today, so I really can't say that today's easy access to new music has helped for that part.
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

@ themis

:lol: :lol: :lol: of course i'm grumpy, when i see that the forum activity had been drowned in the sea of music hunting and requests. :roll: i log in, i check the active topics and when i see 100 ids of the usual suspects... i get grumpy... so either i comment something to cut some bullshit, either i don't comment at all. anyway. i've had my days :) and my hundreds of posts. now i like more to read it in the shadow.
and also...too much digital sh!t and too many discussions around it, to much attention for a sh!t. that makes me sad and pisses me off.
so in my opinion, this forum is not dying, but the world has changed, and its users along with it. i'm sure that everyone who was very active once upon a time, when the community was smaller, is still reading it.

regarding the discussion above about digging...nothng compares with digging into a recordstore. not a million mp3samples on the online stores. never ever never. this reminds me about the former vinyl club store in ibiza. u could have spent days in there. hours and hours everyday, and in the end you were leaving with maybe less then 10 records, hands all dirty and black with dust but glowing with happiness of finding some lost tracks u couldn't find digging online not in a million years. oh...i'm missing that place a lot. the difference between digging online and digging into records stores is that online u find the obvious, meanwhile in the stores you can find long lost music, unknow to the sinful virtual world :)

swimming through the new releases online without a life vest (mine consists of the alarms for specific labels and artists) it's getting you crazy for sure. there are more new bullshit releases then ever. it's an ocean of crap.
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

whatever wrote:

it's an ocean of crap.
well said... :lol:
whatever wrote:
the difference between digging online and digging into records stores is that online u find the obvious, meanwhile in the stores you can find long lost music, unknow to the sinful virtual world :)
do not agree 100%... sure this goes for certain stuff, but you have to admit, that youtube is kind of a holy grail of house and techno music and if you go to the right places you can find loads of hidden gems there that were kind of ''lost''.. thats what i experienced at least... still to dig in a record store is the perfect way to spend the day and even though i do it rarely because of the lack of good recorshops where i live currently, i enjoy it alot and prefer it a hundred times to digital digging...
lostinmusiq
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by lostinmusiq »

vermi wrote:Strange with the decreasing traffic; I mean, after all the Italians got online it should be the opposite! ;) Anyhow, away with the jokes; speaking for myself, this forum was for me a large part in discovering new artists and new releases, discussing releases, etc. However, in my humble opinion, the majority of all releases I've checked out over the last few years (and that's not a small number) have been/are shite. It has certainly affected the amount of time I spend on trying to discover new music, be it artists or releases. And in addition, people are growing up, getting new responsibilities (work, family, studies, etc), and time becomes a limited, but still sought after resource. So I think it boils down to priorities, combined with what Patrick mentioned, social medias taking over.

What can you do about it? Not much. As others have mentioned, when there's something to talk about, people will talk. Otherwise they'll just prioritize differently and spend their time on something else that gives them more in return.

My 50cent vs. Eminem (remix).
i can´t say it better 8)

most of my records i bought after i knew beatport for the first time ...
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I think the outlet of music in a completely free form has hit a huge wall..

for me personally I feel (still) the last real wave or flux of music was 2005-2006 : when really great music was pouring out from label after label. it goes in waves where things are free, or forced.. sometimes ppl just try to live, and create tracks based on what labels want and not from themselves. therefore you get a forced market/label demand..... vs. ....artistic expression from your own soul/self...
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

@ junger - believe me, i have one or two very nice records of few one-record producers of the 90s that i found in that store in ibiza... that kind of stuff i'm talking about. i see myself as a thorough online digger also (zero record stores in romania, so i have the oportunity to go into a store once, maybe twice a year, not more) and i would have never bumped into that records in my searches.
ALT.noize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ALT.noize »

eggnchips wrote:It's such a great forum with intersting topics and likewise members but posts seem to less and less frequent to the point where I've stopped checking it.
Maybe a name change wouldn't go amiss?
no its just coming alive