Blogging Etiquette!?

- open
tommy_fretwell
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Blogging Etiquette!?

Post by tommy_fretwell »

I'm thinking of starting a blog, nothing groundbreaking, just sharing music that I dig, artists, mixes, maybe try and catch a few interviews..the usual protocol.

My question is, are there laws and blogging rules that are applicable and that I should know about? So I want to use it as a platform to bring together the different aspects of my musical taste..so for instance if I come across a mix that's posted on another blog or for another site, so long as I am not claiming it to be my own acquisition and give full credit to the source and artist, can I do this? Likewise for a new release...If I dig it can I write about it, post a link to a sample etc.? Same with interviews...if there's an artist interview somewhere, can I give credit to the source and paste this on my blog or does it have to be a link to the source itself!?

Or have I got this all wrong? Anything that I post on my blog has to be completely sourced by myself and no one else???
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Blogging Etiquette!?

Post by wax works »

tommy_fretwell wrote:I'm thinking of starting a blog, nothing groundbreaking, just sharing music that I dig, artists, mixes, maybe try and catch a few interviews..the usual protocol.

My question is, are there laws and blogging rules that are applicable and that I should know about? So I want to use it as a platform to bring together the different aspects of my musical taste..so for instance if I come across a mix that's posted on another blog or for another site, so long as I am not claiming it to be my own acquisition and give full credit to the source and artist, can I do this? Likewise for a new release...If I dig it can I write about it, post a link to a sample etc.? Same with interviews...if there's an artist interview somewhere, can I give credit to the source and paste this on my blog or does it have to be a link to the source itself!?

Or have I got this all wrong? Anything that I post on my blog has to be completely sourced by myself and no one else???
I would just do what you want with your blog, post whatever you're into and share all the stuff that you like.
I generally don't copy & paste interviews, but I will link to them and sometimes make a comment on it, why I think it's worth reading, or why it's relevant to what I'm doing.
Same with mixes.

There's nothing to stop you from reviewing or writing about anything you want - new records, old records, films, parties.. if you want to write about it then do so. post samples, pictures, whatever.

just go for it.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Blogging Etiquette!?

Post by simonb »

The main 2 things that annoy me in blogs:

1) Piracy i.e. music downloads being given away for free without permission of the copyright owner.

2) Poor English skills. Yours seem OK to me so you can disregard this, but it seems that blogging and the democratisation of the media and so on have opened the doors to a whole load "writers" who've not made an effort to develop any writing skills or spell correctly.

Avoid those and you'll be fine, at least in my book ;)