Vinyl only?

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by patrick bateman »

Robot Criminal wrote:I read pretty frequently that clubs in US have Serato installed to dj booths...
Is it? :roll:
I mean if a club has a traktor card installed or a traktor certified mixer, then there would be no mucking around with wires and such...
some clubs actually do have serato/traktor already installed.

Also some clubs have extended the back of the mixer into a patchbay further away, so the next DJ can easily switch cables without annoying the DJ currently playing. This is very very smart and makes it into a 2 minute thing to setup Traktor.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

patrick bateman wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:I read pretty frequently that clubs in US have Serato installed to dj booths...
Is it? :roll:
I mean if a club has a traktor card installed or a traktor certified mixer, then there would be no mucking around with wires and such...
some clubs actually do have serato/traktor already installed.

Also some clubs have extended the back of the mixer into a patchbay further away, so the next DJ can easily switch cables without annoying the DJ currently playing. This is very very smart and makes it into a 2 minute thing to setup Traktor.
I've read all that too, it's all great stuff but in my experience it's a very small minority of clubs that do that. Especially if you're at the intermediate/amateur level and playing in clubs with dodgy setups.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

last year was very quite for me. i only played out twice but in one of those clubs they had a patch bay in the DJ booth.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

A laptop dj will never play* most of the tracks by Levon Vincent, Dj Qu, Norm Talley, Wolfgang Voigt, Thomas Brinkmann, Theo Parrish, to name but a few...
A laptop dj will never play* (most of the) tracks released on Perlon, Mosaic, [a:rpia:r], STABLO, Profan, Dance Mania, Skudge, Aniara, KDJ, to name but a few...
A laptop dj will never play* this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this or this, to name but a few...

*of course unless they are friends with the producer
or *unless they bought the vinyl and ripped it
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

I'm thinking of spending $700 on 100 white labels and putting in thrown out rap vinyl record jackets that I found put out with the garabage. Make it a free release. Weird oddball analog techno. :D
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
candle
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by candle »

breton wrote:A laptop dj will never play* most of the tracks by Levon Vincent, Dj Qu, Norm Talley, Wolfgang Voigt, Thomas Brinkmann, Theo Parrish, to name but a few...
A laptop dj will never play* (most of the) tracks released on Perlon, Mosaic, [a:rpia:r], STABLO, Profan, Dance Mania, Skudge, Aniara, KDJ, to name but a few...
A laptop dj will never play* this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this or this, to name but a few...

I think a laptop dj doesn't actually care about that as long as he can play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQT-r-lXWg and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBYX4uQU7M.

;)
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

candle wrote:
breton wrote:A laptop dj will never play* most of the tracks by Levon Vincent, Dj Qu, Norm Talley, Wolfgang Voigt, Thomas Brinkmann, Theo Parrish, to name but a few...

I think a laptop dj doesn't actually care about that as long as he can play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQT-r-lXWg and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBYX4uQU7M.

;)
I see quite a lot of that hot creations stuff in the top juno/decks charts at the moment. that migual cambell one has been in the charts of decks since its been out.
Johbremat
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Surely after a month it's not considered necromancy?

Post by Johbremat »

Everyone's made a fair investment here. Thought I'd throw my coin in to the fountain:

I only mix on turntables: uncomfortable on CDJs and MIDI controllers are average unless you're double-teaming like Liebing and Speedy J.

Only buy vinyl and CD. Sucks that some quality tunes are only release digitally, but still won't buy. Prefer having the physical media and visual reference versus binary tucked away on a hard disk. That, and stuff MP3. All my tunes are archived as FLAC, and transcode as I need to (WMA Lossless for HTPC; 512AAC for SSL; 192AAC for iPod; 352A3P for MiniDisc).

Well, yet to digitise my vinyl, but intend to. Primarily for the purposes of longevity (saves wearing away my wax) and using SSL as my digital crate, saves me lugging tunes around. Positive consequence of losing notebook/laptop? Digital tunes are backed up at home. I'd be gutted (suicidal?) losing my actual vinyl: all those obscure, limited and out-of-press tunes...*sheds tear at the thought*

And doesn't seem that punters are fussed much these days what format the DJ is using. Then again, the quality of said-punters today is about the same as most of the artists and DJs *blergh*: I think only DJs (bedroom or otherwise) are the only ones who care.