Vinyl only?

- open
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by fir3 »

hairblz wrote:- the largest possible number of things that can go wrong
I'm sincerely curious. Please elaborate.

hairblz wrote:- you have to look at a computer screen and click to choose your tracks
only for the tracks played from the laptop; you will still need browsing through the bag for the plates.

hairblz wrote:- you have to take your own computer
this may be an advantage, actually, because a) it's smaller than a cd bag [maybe just as heavy] and b) you can carry [almost] all your digital collection with you. granted, it's costlier if you lose a laptop [no argument there], but I guess it depends from which perspective you look.

hairblz wrote:- every time a new dj comes on they have to re-do the wiring
if using vinyls as controls, this is not really necessary, as you can just switch the input type for each channel [from cd/line to phono] and presto! turntables are usable again as... well, turntables! :) Of course, if you plan on leaving right after your set, you'll need to take your cables with you [most clubs/promoters don't provide such things]. In my case, I prefer staying all night long at the party, regardless of my timeslot, because I see it as a way as showing respect for those before and/or after you [but this is just me].

tone-def: I see and agree with your point. But most computer geeks that have a model, say not older than '09, have a machine that can handle a performance pretty well [as long as it's not pushed to the extreme].

patrick: What can you comment on your experience so far with this setup [please include the good, the bad and the ugly]? :D
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

hairblz wrote:
fir3 wrote: What do you think of plates + traktor via control vinyls [NO, NOT syncing, but ear beatmatching]?
This is probably my least favourite method of DJing.
- you have to look at a computer screen and click to choose your tracks
thats what shortcuts and traktor x1 are for.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I've been buying more vinyl recently. I really love the format and the tangible aspect just can't be replicated. But, everything needs to be ordered (and shipped) and can't match the immediacy of downloads. I enjoy the vinyl + cd thing I have going on now. I value my laptop too much much to bring it anywhere tbh. The setup / teardown thing with laptop based sets is really fucking annoying when you are playing and the guy needs to setup all his sh!t in the middle of your set. Get there early and setup for fck's sake.

In regards to the .wav vs .mp3 (assuming it's properly encoded) thing. When dealing with 320 kbps mp3's vs wave files, the difference is very very small. If someone claims to be able to tell the difference, they must have been crossbred with a cat.

The only difference between them is wav's can go up to 22k hz, while mp3's can only go up to 18k hz. Human hearing, however, can only go up to 20k hz, so that last 2k that the wave can produce is useless to us. So, in reality, it's only a 2k hz difference between the formats. That 2k hz frequency band is at the extreme upper end of what our ears can hear. I did a test once to create a 18k hz tone and I had to peg my mixer just to barely hear the sound. Even then, it was probably high pitched distortion I was hearing more than anything. To be honest, I don't know if it was even at 18k, because I had to pitch up the highest note on the keyboard just to create the sound.
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

^ the .wav vs. 320 debate depends a lot on the fidelity of the sound emitters [read headphones/speakers]. I didn't have the privilege so far as to participate in an audio formats clash on a very good soundsystem [say... vinyl vs. wav/flac vs. 320kbps on a properly tunned F1 system].

Here are some quite interesting tests that you can take:
128 vs. 320
and 320 vs. wav

To be frank about it, in the 128 vs. 320 test, if I hadn't knew where to focus my attention [at the upper edge of the spectrum], I may have not noticed the difference. The wav vs. 320 was possibly even less noticeable, but it may have been the depth that gave it away.

Undoubtedly, WAVs/FLACs do contain more information than 320s, due to the very nature of the respective formats [lossless vs. lossy]. It's like say, creating a 100 colors painting with 100 colors [nuances] vs. 37 colors. The richness factor cannot be ignored, although many may not notice it at first.

Back on topic, I've caught an article that I believe should be an interesting addition to the discussion. It's from 12 years ago, by someone from CalTech. I honestly didn't have the time to read it so far but will tomorrow: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htm :idea:
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

fir3 wrote:
hairblz wrote:- the largest possible number of things that can go wrong
I'm sincerely curious. Please elaborate.
Turntables+mixer+laptop = more components that can fail
when compared to laptop, cdj, or vinyl dj setups.

I use the same logic for all kinds of things. A wireless modem has more things that can go wrong than a wired one, so it's less reliable. A hard disk drive has more moving parts, so is less reliable than a flash drive or solid state.

This not only makes failures more likely, but also harder to diagnose.
fir3 wrote:
hairblz wrote:- you have to take your own computer
this may be an advantage, actually, because a) it's smaller than a cd bag [maybe just as heavy] and b) you can carry [almost] all your digital collection with you. granted, it's costlier if you lose a laptop [no argument there], but I guess it depends from which perspective you look.
Hell yeah man, when clubs start offering laptops for the DJ to use then I'll seriously consider making the switch.

My CD bag is about the same size as a gigantic yet incredibly light laptop but I can throw it around. I also like to stick around after I DJ and not having to worry about all my gear is sweet. Also, I don't like to have my entire collection with me when I play, that is just me though.
fir3 wrote:
hairblz wrote:- every time a new dj comes on they have to re-do the wiring
if using vinyls as controls, this is not really necessary, as you can just switch the input type for each channel [from cd/line to phono] and presto! turntables are usable again as... well, turntables! :)
Exactly, so if a DJ wants to go home (extremely likely) then rewiring will be necessary.

Also, switching the input type often involves rewiring.

All I know is, DJs who use vinyl control suck fucking ass.

Just kidding. All I'm saying is, if you like audio dropouts and rewiring, then vinyl control is the ONLY option worth considering!
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

by "switching the input type" I meant pressing the button [flipping the switch] on your mixer's channels from "Line/CD" to "Phono". it needs no rewiring.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

fir3 wrote:by "switching the input type" I meant pressing the button [flipping the switch] on your mixer's channels from "Line/CD" to "Phono". it needs no rewiring.
Yeah, I know, but often there are two separate inputs (eg. pioneer 800), correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/stk_i ... M800-D.JPG

Indeed, there are two inputs. So you must rewire the phonos from one input to the other.

Edit2: Same with A&H 62 and 92. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Phase Ghost wrote: The only difference between them is wav's can go up to 22k hz, while mp3's can only go up to 18k hz.
Nah m8.

True, 320s are cutoff around 18kHz.

But there's also a psychoacoustic model that the WAV is compared to, to see what the human ear will notice. Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

All the unnecessary information is taken out using this method, and then the rest of the filesize reduction happens via normal lossless compression (exactly like FLAC - the same as ZIP or RAR only tweaked to work best with audio)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I read pretty frequently that clubs in US have Serato installed to dj booths...
Is it? :roll:
I mean if a club has a traktor card installed or a traktor certified mixer, then there would be no mucking around with wires and such...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...