Re: Vinyl only?

Post by Robot Criminal »

djshiva wrote:
trak660 wrote:
djshiva wrote:
roland wrote:
djshiva wrote:my blah blah blah
someone else's blah blah blah
Way to completely blah blah blah. But thanks for blah!
He's been beat matching since before blah blah blah. :lol:
*inside joke blah blah*
well let's NOT go into this even deeper shall we now please?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

I'm headlining at an all vinyl party in a few weeks

and you can best believe I'm digging through my entire collection of vinyl to put together a crushing set

because I know every other DJ on the bill is doing the same

I have some great friends that mix on traktor, know the music, the history, the references

which is vastly different then playing the top 10's from beatport for the past few years

knowledge, curation, personal style are way more important than format

we are caretakers and custodians of this music, keeping it for the joy of others, sharing what moves and touches us with a gyrating crowd for only a brief time before genres people and we ourselves change
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Did anyone go through a digital stage? I bought about 2000 digital files, that now sit on a hd and dont even get a look in. Kind of gutted that I bothered really.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

To be honest, I am just not able to handle the format. I downloaded a small amount of net-label stuff but I am just unable to handle that in my everyday life. If I want to listen to some music, I put a record on, or maybe a CD sometimes. That's just natural for me. Going to some kind of other device and sort out files from a HD with some kind of UI, hm I don't know. My job is computer related, that's what I am doing all (work) day long, but for my own free time, I am not at all a digital gadget guy. I am very happy I still own a *tele*phone and not a smart one. Only stuff I listen to digital are DJ sets.
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

Well... I hope it's not too late to revive this topic, but I've stumbled upon what I consider a rather interesting short vid, regarding the 'formats' subject: http://vimeo.com/35311642

I too believe that it's the end result that matters most [= message [tracks, technical skills, arrangement] and the sound quality [vinyl = wave > digital = 0|1]], but nevertheless I want to point out that:

1. regardless of what you and I believe, WAVs or FLACs are the same as CDs, information quality wise, with all of them providing more content than mp3s [providing they're not transcoded from the latter one, obviously]. So stating, for example that "CDs sound better than FLACs just because FLACs are played from the PC" is a logical fallacy, IMHO. And, by the way, a CD with the source sound coming from 320kbps sounds the same [maybe shittier] than the original 320 file, because of compression artifacts [read here].
We must of course take into account the quality of the digital-analogue converters [DACs]. I personally don't have data for the frequency or richness information of a Audio 8 DJ [NI's Traktor] or Rane SL 4 [Serato Live] versus CDJ 2000 [Pioneer] 's DACs, but I doubt there are any serious differences. To anyone who could provide such information, please do. It would be something worth reading and reflecting upon.
The thing that really baffles me is all the hate towards laptop+control vinyl/cd using non-syncing DJs from those that use CDJs. :roll: TBH, I find it easier to mix using CDJs than using traktor with control vinyls. If we eliminated bpm's from the equation [as both CDJs and software provide such tools], I think that the comparison is even easier to weigh out.

2. I think that the difference between analogue and best-quality digital sounds are evident primarily to those with trained ears, providing that the soundsystem is top notch, and the majority of people will not realize the difference between a vinyl and a cd upon listening the same track on a medium or crappy soundsystem [but that's just a personal belief].

3. subjectivity is a hell of a bitch! People keep forgetting that plates get dusty, cds/dvds easily get scratched and skip, laptops can fail. It would be really nice if everyone started thinking from different angles for a minute :)

What do you think of plates + traktor via control vinyls [NO, NOT syncing, but ear beatmatching]?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

fir3 wrote: What do you think of plates + traktor via control vinyls [NO, NOT syncing, but ear beatmatching]?
i would love to own a laptop and scratch software purely for playing my own tracks, but i can't justify the cost when i can just use CDJ's. i wouldn't want to risk losing a laptop every time i play out.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

fir3 wrote:
What do you think of plates + traktor via control vinyls [NO, NOT syncing, but ear beatmatching]?
That's how I'm playing.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

fir3 wrote: What do you think of plates + traktor via control vinyls [NO, NOT syncing, but ear beatmatching]?
This is probably my least favourite method of DJing.

- the largest possible number of things that can go wrong
- you have to look at a computer screen and click to choose your tracks
- you have to take your own computer
- every time a new dj comes on they have to re-do the wiring

The worst of both worlds!