Vinyl only?

- open
Dardis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by Dardis »

wax works wrote:

tbh, I don't think you know what you;re talking about - 1) it doesn't take a few weeks for mixing with vinyl to become second nature, and it aint about counting to 4. 2) regardless of what you play, no set should be well prepared.. the DJ should be prepared, but the set shouldnt. and lets not mention auto sync. 3) why shouldn't a DJ be praised for playing a good track? there's a lot more to playing a good track than playing a good track

Tbh my post was a bit ambiguous. I completely agree that there is more to vinyl mixing than beatmatching. It takes years to learn how to make a set flow well for example (didn't mean prepare). But the same holds for digital djing, there is more to it than simply synching tracks. A good set needs the exact same skills only without the beat matching.

As for praising a Dj for playing a good record, by all means. It just seems that nowadays little praise falls in the direction of the producer. In moodymanns words, people pay too much attention to the damned dj - the talent is on the turntable.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Dardis wrote:
wax works wrote:

tbh, I don't think you know what you;re talking about - 1) it doesn't take a few weeks for mixing with vinyl to become second nature, and it aint about counting to 4. 2) regardless of what you play, no set should be well prepared.. the DJ should be prepared, but the set shouldnt. and lets not mention auto sync. 3) why shouldn't a DJ be praised for playing a good track? there's a lot more to playing a good track than playing a good track

Tbh my post was a bit ambiguous. I completely agree that there is more to vinyl mixing than beatmatching. It takes years to learn how to make a set flow well for example (didn't mean prepare). But the same holds for digital djing, there is more to it than simply synching tracks. A good set needs the exact same skills only without the beat matching.

As for praising a Dj for playing a good record, by all means. It just seems that nowadays little praise falls in the direction of the producer. In moodymanns words, people pay too much attention to the damned dj - the talent is on the turntable.
Yeah definitely, playing a good set on Traktor is still a good set. but all dj's should be able to beatmatch if required.

I dunno man, how many DJs who aren't producers can you name, 4 or 5? Seems to me like the real DJs get a raw deal because they don't use ableton or cant afford to pay some dude to make a record for them.
Dardis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dardis »

wax works wrote: I dunno man, how many DJs who aren't producers can you name, 4 or 5? Seems to me like the real DJs get a raw deal because they don't use ableton or cant afford to pay some dude to make a record for them.
That's too true, opportunities for people who don't produce are few & far between. And some of the producers who get booked aren't really dj's anyway, they're just booked as a recognisable name
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Would you care if a great DJ that has been in the game for 15-20 years and know how to beatmatch in his sleep with his both arms cut of would press the auto sync to get the clean beatmatch in 1 second instead of his normal 5 seconds with no auto sync button?
Last edited by Marcus Stork on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

*Accidently quoted myself*

:D
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yes i would care

1. this would get more boring for him, and that would lead to a different style, he would think of ways to do something like more decks, or efx or something you can see this with richie hawtin

2. that would lead to a complete other style music, and at that point i would care cause i cant stand those 4 decks loop sh!t

3. now that he is digital he would switch to digital tracks. many old good tracks would be lost, cause no one would play them anymore..

and be honest no real DJ would just sync 2 decks and play like vinyl .. thats just too fucking boring.

and only the minus people and luciano sync, i dont recall any other big DJ who syncs. and minus and luciano is .. you know :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote: i dont recall any other big DJ who syncs. and minus and luciano is .. you know :)
Benno Blome (Sender), Dubfire, isn't Chris Liebing also on the autosync? and quite a few more I'm sure..
Oh well, it's only the vinyl enthusiasts that cares.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

patrick bateman wrote:
Themis wrote: i dont recall any other big DJ who syncs. and minus and luciano is .. you know :)
Benno Blome (Sender), Dubfire, isn't Chris Liebing also on the autosync? and quite a few more I'm sure..
Oh well, it's only the vinyl enthusiasts that cares.
yeah again liebing and dubfire is a pretty good examples which sound you get if you sync ..

but this has nothing to do with vinyl vs digital, if someone plays with traktor and doesnt sync i guess its not so different from vinyl if you like the music.

but snyc? thats just a whole other sound you cant even compare that with beatmatch sets.