Vinyl only?

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by Themis »

i also have friends who now start to buy vinyl again, i sense a kind of uptrend here.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

yeah i also think it's just hip for the youngsters to play vinyl again, like it was cool to go digital 5 years ago, cos it was something new
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

Anyone still doing distro themselves these days or is it pretty much impossible with the price of things?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

::BLM:: wrote:I know lots of labels selling more then 500. Our last 3 releases have sold more then that. There seems to be a few labels that are still hitting over 1000, and then quite a few doing around 600+ mark. There was a time that we were selling much less (2 years ago) but now it has picked up again. However I also know a ton that are doing like 200-300 copies, so its hard to say for sure where the vinyl market is at right now.

I know a lot of people that have gone back to vinyl including myself. I actually regret spending so much money on digital music as I don't think I will ever play it again.
i ment you can still get away with releasing more interesting less trendy edm music on vinyl without ruining yourself (as long as it has a certain quality of course).
techno made me do it
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

I've bought more vinyl (about 8 pieces) this year than in the last five years - also refreshed my Stanton 500 needles. Feels and sounds great. So there you go.

I've also bought about 10 CDs - but these were funk and souls albums.

p.s. also, have to add that mp3 is just no comparison for vinyl. fact. WAV is acceptable for digital performance, but mp3 really shouldn't be played out (just handy for ipods and internet convenience).
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

i play vinyl only, always have. at home though, i find myself listening to mp3's and cd's, but that's when they're being played at a low volume...in a dj situation at a club with big soundsystem vinyl has no challenger. of course most of the people aren't that picky in the sound quality they hear in clubs or mixes...for most it's all about the music and party, not about the sound.

i recently ran a reasonably big venue where we had about a dozen of different dj's passing by every week, and what stroke me the most was how consistently the digital dj's had worse sound than the vinyl ones. not sure why, but the digital dj's somehow tend to forget there's a mixer with eq for them to use, and just auto-mix one track after another without paying attention to the overall sound. music selection and mixing is important but if you pay attention to the sound aswell you'll go that extra mile. not that the crowd would give a fck...they just wanna listen to the music, get drunk, do drugs and dance.

also, i increasingly find a lot of kids who see dj's playing vinyl actually showing them some respect just for the fact of spinning wax. it's not unusual for some youngster coming up to the booth and say something like: "hey man, wtf, you still play vinyl?" and giving that approving nod.
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

interesting point of view by Nina Kravitz :
http://halcyonline.com/2011/qa-nina-kraviz/
tabula rasa
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

zentex wrote: also, i increasingly find a lot of kids who see dj's playing vinyl actually showing them some respect just for the fact of spinning wax. it's not unusual for some youngster coming up to the booth and say something like: "hey man, wtf, you still play vinyl?" and giving that approving nod.
Sometimes people respect me just because I know HOW to mix vinyls... lol!