MUTEK 2011

- open
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I'm heading to Mutek, 4th time going. Only going up for the Friday-Sunday though.

I need to pick and choose what I try and go to, last year I went (year before last), was up for Thurs-Sunday and tried to get to pretty much everything - but ended up missing some of the acts I really wanted to see by trying to cram in too much at once. Still kicking myself for missing Beytone.
alutza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alutza »

I'm going to be there from Friday to Sunday as well. Really looking forward to the Horror Inc. live pa. It's going to be something really special.
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

from friday to sunday.
Amazing line-up, one more time.
don't miss the after party sunday with Sanwell District.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?255530

You can listen some of the show here :
http://www.awdio.com/blog/post/mutek-fe ... e-on-awdio

Glad to meet you there :P
tabula rasa
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Leaving in a few hours! 8)
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: MUTEK 2011

Post by shypht »

So, what was everyone's thoughts on Mutek this year? I was there from the Friday-Monday, although wish I had gone earlier in the week.

Highlights for me were:

* Plastikman - I thought the show was better than I had expected it to be. Music was great, really enjoyed the visuals - just wish it was not as crowded, was impossible to get around for awhile.
* Elektro Guzzi - Never heard of these guys before, and when I saw them setting up a band-kit on the stage I thought I was in for hipster-dance-rock or something, but they ended up banging out a pretty killer techno set. It was a pleasant surprise and going to keep an eye out for their releases now.
* Pole - Played a great set and higher energy than I had expected, especially after the set that Deadbeat had played. I saw him at my first Mutek with his band and he blew me away then also.
* Chancha Via Circuito - Another case of 'Never heard of them before, and was really impressed' - loved the bass-heavy sounds they were putting down, and the visuals they had going were a treat for the eyes.
* Daega Soundsystem - After leaving Chancha Via Circuito, this really hit the spot for what I was in the mood for musically. The room wasn't very full at all, but it gave me plenty of room to dance. Really enjoyed their set, caught most of it but left before the end to catch the later half of James Holden.
* Nocturne 5 as a whole - Got there just at the end of Horror Incs set so can't comment much on that, but everyone else that night was top-notch. I think of all the events I went to, that was the one where I danced the most. Really enjoyed Radiq and Wareika. I think this was one of the best nights, and I think it really shows that Mutek knows how to hit the mark when it comes with their overall programming for the Festival (even though the start of Nocturne 4 wasn't quite the best from what I gather).

I made it to Nocturne 3/4/5, both Pikniks and designer_mix. Of that, I think the only letdowns for me were

- Deadbeat : Not sure what I was expecting, but I've seen him about 3 times before and have always really enjoyed him, but for me I was finding the tempo a little too slow. I wasn't expecting a banging set, but I wasn't expecting to be listening to my 'I've smoked a J and going to sleep music'. It was good for what it was, and I'm sure in a different mindset I would enjoy it more. Also Traversable Wormhole - after the sensory overload of Plastikman and recovering from the over-crowding, it took me awhile to get into his set - the volume also seemed to drop considerably and no light-show for him either. It just took me a bit to ramp back into party-mood, and just as I was getting back into the swing of things it ended.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: MUTEK 2011

Post by grace anxiety »

How was the horror inc live pa?