Re: DEMF 2011

Post by mlexicon »

signatures suck
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Villalobos is according to me one of the most interesting and infuential dj's of all time but the guy just isn't made to headline events. He's the after hours dj who the hardcore clubbers and genre lovers should go and see. Now, the events he has to play at are just too mainstream for his interpretation of the house/techno sound. You can hear this in his interviews, in that documentary too, that he's not made for the hype... Just too many people that jumped on the minimal/deep house wagon fistpumping their way to the dj booth kill it for the more experimentally oriented Villalobos, I think. Also, everybody must have an extremely harsh opinion on the guy: if you check discogs, everybody is hating on him, especially (and I don't know exactely why) non-Europeans, although he was the one playing old Relief and Trax records making the old school Chicago/Detroit sound popular again in Europe...

I remember, when I saw him in 2003 or so, it was all about the atmosphere he created, it was really unbelievable. The last time I saw him, he played, according to me, a great set, playing some old dutch acid together with dubby minimal stuff, but because the crowd was in for the 'let's put a 3 minute break in it and when it explodes, it'll tear the roof off'- ableton house, the vibe went totally lost until he played the 'hits'... Sad to see this happening

Anyway, I reckon that if he sucks, it sucks! ;) I just think that the problem in his case is the necesary widening of the niche he plays for, making it less favourable for us (me) , liking a more experimental approach...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

oblioblioblio wrote:yeah i think so... andrew weatherall before, matt dear in room 2 and i think lindstrom live?
h
nice vibes that night as well. free oven gloves on the way out :)
Yeah yellow gloves. I still have mine.

Was such a great night that one. Back when Ricardo wasn't that popluar and there was space to dance.

I remember seeing him play at Fabric when Luciano did his liveset and that was of the best time I have ever had in a club. Such good music all night long.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

Kiani wrote:Villalobos is according to me one of the most interesting and infuential dj's of all time but the guy just isn't made to headline events. He's the after hours dj who the hardcore clubbers and genre lovers should go and see. Now, the events he has to play at are just too mainstream for his interpretation of the house/techno sound. You can hear this in his interviews, in that documentary too, that he's not made for the hype... Just too many people that jumped on the minimal/deep house wagon fistpumping their way to the dj booth kill it for the more experimentally oriented Villalobos, I think. Also, everybody must have an extremely harsh opinion on the guy: if you check discogs, everybody is hating on him, especially (and I don't know exactely why) non-Europeans, although he was the one playing old Relief and Trax records making the old school Chicago/Detroit sound popular again in Europe...

I remember, when I saw him in 2003 or so, it was all about the atmosphere he created, it was really unbelievable. The last time I saw him, he played, according to me, a great set, playing some old dutch acid together with dubby minimal stuff, but because the crowd was in for the 'let's put a 3 minute break in it and when it explodes, it'll tear the roof off'- ableton house, the vibe went totally lost until he played the 'hits'... Sad to see this happening

Anyway, I reckon that if he sucks, it sucks! ;) I just think that the problem in his case is the necesary widening of the niche he plays for, making it less favourable for us (me) , liking a more experimental approach...
I think you hit the nail on the head here :D
briankdance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briankdance »

fun thread! for my first time seeing him i was terribly disappointed by villalobos' festival set (didn't go on the boat), but to be fair, i thought it was obvious that this sound drop-out/stopping the wrong record thing which was being discussed, was actually a matter of there being tons of dust on the record/needle which could be easily heard... and i thought it was obvious that he picked up the needle to quickly blow it off, and don't really fault him for that. but, otherwise, i stayed all 2 hours just to get as a good of an impression as i could and i think that was the biggest waste of time for me at the festival, although i know 2 hours is probably not enough for him. dygas' set beforehand was quite nice, which made villalobos sound like even more of a flop.

cio d'or's set was my favorite, even with the room-clearing sound failure (she told me it had nothing to do with her setup)... but she came back on after about 10 minutes and gave a proper finish for the loyal ones who stayed (and the rest who came in as it started raining, i guess).

her set might have set the bar too high too early for me, because i really wasn't too impressed the rest of the weekend. i also got to chat with her for a while, and her approach to music really contrasted with, say, what i saw from villalobos and hawtin with their on-stage hype people and boringly mnml sets... cio also told me it was her first time seeing hawtin dj, her review: boring!

i too was angry when i saw that the torino and detroit stages had been switched... was really hoping to hear all those germans playing outside. does anyone NOT think that underground area is unfit to use as a music stage? i enjoyed monolake, traversable wormhole and dettmann but not as much as if it were outside with a proper system. robert henke (monolake) even posted to facebook earlier that day that the room was one of the worst he'd ever played in.

clr party: couldn't really handle the big-room stuff liebing and speedy j were playing, but the vibe was right for dettmann and radioslave playing together in the basement. tiny room, definitely less than 100 people... it was fun to see those two dj's play in such a small space.

i stayed at old miami all afternoon monday (my 2nd year and the continuation of a tradition of missing the festival on monday)... sunny day and perfect vibe for me. vincent lemieux followed by ryan elliott, cassy and craig richards sharing the decks - vinyl and cd's, no computer in sight for any of them! - was a nice way to wind down the weekend. was hoping to make it back to the festival but got slowed down by a friend who needed to 'eat' and 'sit down' :roll:

overall, a fun weekend, but i don't have a lot of especially memorable musical moments. i guess if we can start to talk about next year, i'll just say that i hope there's NO hawtin or minus taking up space on the lineup...