DEMF 2011

- open
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

I have trouble believing it was dj error. I’m sure Ric plays on systems that large all the time and even though he *may* push hot levels (we don’t have a way to really know that) the engineers should be able to tame that. The sound did degrade towards the end of Margaret and the levels when Ric came on were just way too low. I could talk clearly to my friends without raising my voice. That issue didn’t get resolved until about 30 minutes into his set. Then the high end was masked until they figured that out. Then the sound would drop intermittently during parts of his set for a second or so, which to me sounded like overloaded amps.

I don’t know if Paxahau used the same sound guys as last year but there were several issues over the weekend with the sound. The end of Cio D’or’s set was a tragedy. The amps overloaded and then came back on and off several times for a couple minutes and there was some terrible distortion and crackling.
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Roy Koch »

I find it hard to believe that a DJ which his skills and experience would make such mistakes....
Caley Martin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Caley Martin »

Roy Koch wrote:I find it hard to believe that a DJ which his skills and experience would make such mistakes....
Well, I dunno about the sound issues being entirely his own problem or not but, his mixing was honestly very very mediocre at best. :?

I don't think he could have possibly lived up to anyone's expectations, even with perfect mixing... so much pressure on him for this show.
alutza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alutza »

I had a great time at the festival this year. Carl Craig as 69 takes the cake when it come to the best set I heard at the festival. I also really enjoyed Margaret Dygas and Ramadanman too. As for afterparties, Tale of Us at Old Miami were really really good. The music that they played was perfect for that time of day.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

jessejames wrote:I'm not sure it was Ricardo's fault. The system wasn't tuned right and they fiddled with it incessantly during his set.
Wrong. Sven was obviously clipping the mixer, because when Carl went on immediately after, it sounded fine. And louder, even.
Same thing happened with Ricardo.
Last edited by prussell on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

jessejames wrote:I have trouble believing it was dj error. I’m sure Ric plays on systems that large all the time and even though he *may* push hot levels (we don’t have a way to really know that) the engineers should be able to tame that. The sound did degrade towards the end of Margaret and the levels when Ric came on were just way too low. I could talk clearly to my friends without raising my voice. That issue didn’t get resolved until about 30 minutes into his set. Then the high end was masked until they figured that out. Then the sound would drop intermittently during parts of his set for a second or so, which to me sounded like overloaded amps.

I don’t know if Paxahau used the same sound guys as last year but there were several issues over the weekend with the sound. The end of Cio D’or’s set was a tragedy. The amps overloaded and then came back on and off several times for a couple minutes and there was some terrible distortion and crackling.
Ricardo looked like he been up for days on meth.
To say he is too much of a professional to redline a mixer is just naive....there are a number of big names that do it on the regular, like Jeff Mills.

The amps were not overloaded for Cio. They cut the sound on purpose because her interface/computer was f'ing up. Or since this happens with her quite often, maybe the "Paxahau sound guys" travel with her?
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

street intel is that Ricky was even more of a disaster at the boat party. Can anyone confirm?

Way to make an impression after a hiatus from the US.

shame.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

is anyone surprised? the guy has a near death experience every time he leaves his house - i'm shocked he even can stand up sometimes.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier