Stefan Goldmann goes deep

- open
reddie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by reddie »

I concur with the statements that media plays big role in music. I know few people that were active in the past here at mnml.nl that now are good musicians, and this very forum helped them gain knowledge or getting noticed. Media makes Beyonce or 50cent or whoever to give charity after it was revealed he/she performed at an event linked to Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi. Imagine those millions they've received for a performance. Their songs are produced by musicians that are no better than any respectable underground artist. So why would anyone think 50cent deserves millions and Stefan Goldman not even a cent? Absurd unbalance here.
It would be a better world if artists have more money, cases with Japan, Beyonce on Haiti or let say J. Haze shows that soul driven people shares wealth for much more good then say politicians. I know I write things that could confuse one, mixed things but you get my point.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i didn't bother to read the GOldmann article.. I like some of his music that I've heard though.

Some of the follow up discussion has been interesting.

Ingemaar, what you say is interesting. I think the most recent problem you described is a problem of society. There is a space that is created where people worship musicians, but people who do less glamorous jobs are not so highly regarded. I don't think you can blame all musicians for that, although I totally respect your view, and you are right to act in this way. It is totally unjustified for someone to earn millions for Ibiza residencies and things like this which are completely unbalanced.

However, I think good music, like any good culture, can play a valuable role in society... not always in a big way, but I think it can do a lot in a small way to help keep people sane.

As to whether music makers deserve the money that some guys earn, well, that is not at all true. But this imbalance can be found in many places. It's really a very positive thing to recongnise this, and to decide that you don't want to act in this way.

Music and business do not need to go together. I've invested a lot of money and time into making music and I have never been involved in business except in my job.

Full time work and full time music making is fuckin hard to balance, though. I don't think I can do it... if it comes to the point where I need to work 9-5 I will have to do less on the music