Stefan Goldmann goes deep

- open
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

oh and sorry BLM, I totally missed to reply to you why I think it is a major problem that everyone is trying to make a living out of their hobby.

Ok, promise not to get angry anyone,
but I don't feel comfortable with using my fortunate position compared to most of the world - of having been born in northern Europe - to isolate myself from the world and wallow in the luxury of music. Sweden for an example is a rich nation full of relatively educated people, and much of it's potential as a nation to help others is paralysed because people are making use of the unfair conditions of the world to further their own hobbies. Western countries consume this and that times much more energy, produces this or that more carbon dioxide, produces this or that much waste than the rest of the planet. I don't feel comfortable just saying "it's not my problem, imma go make a cool beat now". I want to try and make good with my life, and not only be remembered as a guy who made tracks which where nice to take drugs to. I don't want to play in the the orchestra of Titanic so to say. I don't feel comfortable using this unfair and unsustainable situation only to have fun.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I don't think that there is anything wrong with making money on music, and I don't think that there is anything wrong doing what you like doing for money - but if you do make profit on music and make a lifestyle of it, where would you end up? Would you expose to the world your personal workflow, your personal tricks and what makes your music special?
I would end up being happy and satisfied with my life. Would I show other people how I work? Yeah why not, there really is no big secret to producing other then putting in the hours and enjoying what you do. I don’t get where you are going with that though? Other then teaching others why would I show other people how I work? It’s more likely that I’ll go into something like sound for video games.
Seeing as I'm not a rich person, it's easy for me to say that I don't want to be in that position, where I am dependent (and in extent, anyone else) on my music.
I'm not rich either. However I would much rather have less money doing what I love then having more money doing something I hate. I do work as well, not much mind you but I do about 8 hours a week as a waiter which pays me enough to guarantee food on the table. I tried the full time work thing, but it has never worked out. I have such a strong desire to do music 24/7 that it makes sense for me to try and forge a career in music. I have a good job running restaurants if I want, which would be great for my family, but what’s the point if it’s going to make me miserable? I really don’t understand why people have a problem with artists trying to do what they love for a living. Why do you think it should remain a hobby? It’s an industry, just like many others so why shouldn’t we try and put something into the industry we love.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Ingemar wrote:oh and sorry BLM, I totally missed to reply to you why I think it is a major problem that everyone is trying to make a living out of their hobby.

Ok, promise not to get angry anyone,
but I don't feel comfortable with using my fortunate position compared to most of the world - of having been born in northern Europe - to isolate myself from the world and wallow in the luxury of music. Sweden for an example is a rich nation full of relatively educated people, and much of it's potential as a nation to help others is paralysed because people are making use of the unfair conditions of the world to further their own hobbies. Western countries consume this and that times much more energy, produces this or that more carbon dioxide, produces this or that much waste than the rest of the planet. I don't feel comfortable just saying "it's not my problem, imma go make a cool beat now". I want to try and make good with my life, and not only be remembered as a guy who made tracks which where nice to take drugs to. I don't want to play in the the orchestra of Titanic so to say. I don't feel comfortable using this unfair and unsustainable situation only to have fun.
You cant not do what you want because of things that are happening in other countries! That makes zero sense at all. Why can't you be a good samaritan as well as make music? Plenty of people are doing good things with music and sharing their money with other countries. Have you heard of red dot relief? There are so many people in the dance music community helping out Japan at the moment
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

BLM, yes I believe that you can be a good samaritan and make music - I'm actually involved in an aid-for-Japan project myself. But I think you are making my line of argument more black and white than I think it is. I do not mean that because thing's aren't 100% peachy in the rest of the world I can't do what I like doing. I spend hours on this board, and a lot more hours making sounds, but that's my personal recreation, my free time. No matter how you twist and turn it, music won't ever feed a child. The only way it could do such a thing, is by off-setting a share of the music industry's profit. A profit which is shrinking by the day and is soon to be non-existent. I'd rather devote my "main" effort to reaching a point in society where I can make a significant difference, rather than - to be honest - send a sum of money that is by far over shadowed by what nations and corporations are sending as way of relief for Japan.

Note bene that this is my personal philosophy which I am in no way trying to preach unto others, but I don't mind explaining myself if asked.

Then there is of course the role model aspect of being a musician, do we want to go down that road in this discussion?
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Ingemar wrote:BLM, yes I believe that you can be a good samaritan and make music - I'm actually involved in an aid-for-Japan project myself. But I think you are making my line of argument more black and white than I think it is. I do not mean that because thing's aren't 100% peachy in the rest of the world I can't do what I like doing. I spend hours on this board, and a lot more hours making sounds, but that's my personal recreation, my free time. No matter how you twist and turn it, music won't ever feed a child. The only way it could do such a thing, is by off-setting a share of the music industry's profit. A profit which is shrinking by the day and is soon to be non-existent. I'd rather devote my "main" effort to reaching a point in society where I can make a significant difference, rather than - to be honest - send a sum of money that is by far over shadowed by what nations and corporations are sending as way of relief for Japan.

Note bene that this is my personal philosophy which I am in no way trying to preach unto others, but I don't mind explaining myself if asked.

Then there is of course the role model aspect of being a musician, do we want to go down that road in this discussion?
So many artists/record companies give money and donate their time to plenty of chartities around the world. I know this isnt underground music, but Shakira does some amazing charity work that definitely feeds children. Jay Haze the other day sorted out a community with loads of things, so I dont get your way of thinking. There are so many other examples of people in the music industry changing peoples lives, yet for some reason you have this strange way of thinking which has made you to think that its a major problem if an artist wants to live off music.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

I don't think that there is a major problem if an individual artist wants to live off music, or if say an interior designer wants to live off his or her passion. But when a nation is educating more photographers than engineers, and generates more exams in sound engineering than it does in social sciences something is not right.

Yes there are artists who are doing charity work that they deserve all credit in the world for. I like Jay Haze' idea of music 2.0 very much, and Seth Troxler is also someone to look up to. People like Maxi Jazz who preach love and kinship with their music are heroes. But no matter how many names I can think of, they wouldn't be more than a drop of water compared to a lake in terms of professional and enthusiast musicians who does not have the same sense of compassion.

Also, I'd be a fool to argue with the saying that no-one can do everything, but everyone can do something. But on the other hand, musicians won't solve the riddle of climate-neutral renewable energy, or the growth of antibiotica resistant bacteria, nor the problems of sustaining a growing population of planet Earth.

That something that I said was not right is not exactly that making a living off a cultural activity is wrong, but that people today are so certain that someone else is going to take care of every problem in the world that they are free to do exactly as they want. It's not people's liberty I consider a problem, on the contrary, it's the rather short-sighted and in a way egoistic way of thinking that is dominant in the wealthier, better-off countries.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Can someone sum up the problem?
The article is too long for me...
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

thank yuo for enlightening me stefan goldman. i always wondered why all those early techno/house records from the late 80's to early 90's were such crap, but now i know. i guess the real good stuff didnt get made until rave music became a profitable business.

and wow i cant believe people dont understnad you cant seperate music from money. dont even try it! what you think you can like make music with some sticks and wood in the forest or something? yea right! lol