label help

- open
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:It really depends from person to person.
I know some who have organized their vinyl collection per label, others per style and others again per recordsleeve colour.
My vinyl collection is alphabetical.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

::BLM:: wrote:
I know some who have organized their vinyl collection per label, others per style and others again per recordsleeve colour.
how do you find a record, if you forgot the name?
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

I'm an order maniac who, trough years, has evolved and mastered the art of labeling, organizing files. I have all my stuff on a 500 GB external device; this helps the transport and invites the possibilities for spontaneus ultra-pleasant moments.

There are 6 principal folders: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5 & 7.

1: the music. Inside 1 there are 5 more folders: D; N; PL; S & SC.

D: digital music. Here I save "commercial music", music you got to pay for (something like the "digital" section). Inside D there are more folders, folders with year numbers, actually: from 1974 to 2011. Every release has a release date, so I put the respective release with its respective year.

An example (@ Windows): G:/1/D/2011/A Static Place - which has 5 files: 01; 02; 03; 04 & 05; a release with 5 tracks.

Note: Some albums were made for be listened from track 1 to the last without interventions, and when I started using the disk at MACs, I couldn't organize anymore the folders by "track number" as in Windows, so I started naming every track from the releases by its place on it. Then its the player's work to make the track's name to appear. Every track has "intrinsic" tags you can change; in my case: I use winamp. You can also click at the files and select "properties" (at least with Windows).

N: free music. CC music, free works, net label music. The organization process it's the same as in D.

PL: Lately, I play more at private meetings than at parties, this forced me to change the way I enjoy those moments. I like to hang around with my friends, not to be hours mixing while everyone else enjoys my music. I wanna be on the floor too! So I grab a computer, plug my disk, I use my refinated skills for reading the "floor" and perceiving the moment, and I choose what's for me the best disk or song for that present: now, and Winamp does all the magic! After the day: I save the playlist, so I have musical memories from those days. :)

S: DJ Sets.

SC: The SouncCloud folder, my last invention. Something like the PL folder, but more personal. When I have toooooooooooooo much free time (as now), I like to surf the SC, and sometimes I find music that really excites me! So I download it and I save my finds at folders with the date I made the download; for example: 280311.

And that's it for the music folder. -smurf

Why not to organize my music by labels? Hmm, never thought about it, but now it could be a dangerous task. In my newbie period as an organizer, I used to organize my music by style, and it was kind of a mess. Now I have so much music from so many genres that it would be impossible to do that.

As for vinyl, well, I don't play vinyl (:(), but my friend who has a similar taste in music as mine and has way to many vinyls (+2000), from way too many multiple genres: does the same I do (or I do the same he does (although it's easier with vinyl, 'cause I have to burn too many damn CDs!)). I hate tracktor and using the mouse and watching the screen, so every time I most play on a floor I usually gotta know the place before, the line up, drugs people will use, and according to that I made my selection. The amount of CDs I use variates around 30, generally 10 tracks by CD. Sometimes I make a mnml session, sometimes I play deep house, sometimes I play experimental music, sometimes dub, sometimes hip hop; it always depends. You can't play trance at 1839571390578073 BPM if Akufen is playing after you. :)

And I guess that's all!
Themis wrote:
You can't forgot a name if you really know what you have. ;)
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

that sounds like the most ridiculous and pointless organisation system ever...

what is the point of the 6 principal folders? how do you know what number to look under if you're looking for a track?

anyway i guess every loon has their methods...

i personally like to order my music by chaos... it all gets dumped into one folder... stick some decent tags on there and you can use any music player's search facility to find what you need.

really can't be bothered to classify everything manually...

actually if i'm ripping CDs i generally let itunes put it in the right folder... and if i'm buying stuff from beatport i let beatport put it in the right place for me.... other than that its just a free for all... the computer does all the hard work for me.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I just whack everything in folders named by genre. As for vinyl, no system at all, the more to the right, the later the purchase date. Sleeves are so obvious to browse through.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Themis wrote:
I wont forget the names. I'm really good with names, plus I used to work in a record store and we did it like that so im used to it.
Evad
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Evad »

I tend to put everything in maps per store per date.
For example: Beatport 2011-03-02 or Boomkat 2010-05-15

I also have a lot of my vinyl ripped on my hard drive, so that goes also per store.

Promo's are filed under the promo agency + per label.

But I guess everyone has his own way.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

If its in Alpha order - what do you put it in.

For instance if its

Radio Slave- I Dont Need a Cure for This - Kenny Larkin Mix

Is it Radioslave or Kenny?