mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Original artist.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

i used to do sorting when i had a pc.

like main folders Techno, House, IDM, Poprock, Others.

Techno and House were divided into Labelfolders which were sorted in catnr. so the folders name were "FIM001 - Artist - Name"

nowadaus i tag everything more properly and let itunes do everything :)
buggzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by buggzy »

Wow, interesting ideas i see. Thanks for the options you gave me.

Thomas i'm kinda think on going in your direction to, making folders with style and then the labels with the catalog number. I think it's more properly.

Wow BLM, you got a good memory =].
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

ChrisCV wrote:that sounds like the most ridiculous and pointless organisation system ever...
Damn, you must have a really bad relationship with yourself to even try to start a discussion for something as silly as that. Why so negative?
ChrisCV wrote:what is the point of the 6 principal folders?
As the discussion was about music I just talked about the music folder. 2 = photography, 3 = movies, 4 = e-books, 5 = software, and 7 = all the stuff I most organize in order to move it to the other folders (and to decide if really worth the move).
ChrisCV wrote:how do you know what number to look under if you're looking for a track?
1 release = 1 folder. If I'm looking for a track I go to the respective artist's release. The browser helps me when I forgot some name.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

Evad wrote:I tend to put everything in maps per store per date.
For example: Beatport 2011-03-02 or Boomkat 2010-05-15
Same for me, but that doesnt work at all, especially for the tracks I bought more than 6months ago

If I want to listen to a specific track, i dont usually remember the exact date i bought it... So I have to use window's search...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

. wrote:
ChrisCV wrote:that sounds like the most ridiculous and pointless organisation system ever...
Damn, you must have a really bad relationship with yourself to even try to start a discussion for something as silly as that. Why so negative?
As the discussion was about music I just talked about the music folder. 2 = photography, 3 = movies, 4 = e-books, 5 = software, and 7 = all the stuff I most organize in order to move it to the other folders (and to decide if really worth the move).
ChrisCV wrote:how do you know what number to look under if you're looking for a track?
1 release = 1 folder. If I'm looking for a track I go to the respective artist's release. The browser helps me when I forgot some name.
Well, I have to agree with ChrisCV on this one. Your system really sounds strange and more complex than it really has to be.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

. wrote:
I'm a professional cynic... but my heart isn't in it... paying the price for living life to the limit.
. wrote:

This is what i was getting at.. you've got a folder labelled 1 -6... why not just call them music, photography movies.. etc... rather than numbers.. then you gave abbreviations for sub folders... it was all a bit cryptic for a filing system...

also the efficiency of a filling system is a balance between categorisation effort vs search efficiency....

if you've got loads of granular categories you have to spend a lot of time placing them in the right place... also you get problems with items that fall into cross categories the more you have...

however the more categories you have the easier it should be to find stuff... although i'm not sure your categories do make it easier to find stuff.. i mean at the root level if you were looking to play a tune... you would first have to know whether it was a purchaased track or a free track so you know whether to go to D or N...but then actually a tune you want to play was from a private meetings moment... as a DJ if i'm thinking of a track to play these are the last questions i'm asking myself...

if anything i'm thinking... what am i playing now... what do i need to play next... something similar or sometihng different... therefore it needs to be broken out by style... after that its more about whether it will fit.. so BPM is important... maybe i'm looking for a certain artist...

basically... there are loads of different ways you can approach it... so the best thing to do is tag your music well... and have sortable lists/search facilities to organise your music... that way you're not stuck in such a rigid structure and you can have multiple groupings for each file... rather than ahving to physically put it in different places.

its why they stuck computer searches into libraries... its why google took over from yahoo... it's jsut progression.
Evad
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Evad »

LouisVee wrote:
Evad wrote:I tend to put everything in maps per store per date.
For example: Beatport 2011-03-02 or Boomkat 2010-05-15
Same for me, but that doesnt work at all, especially for the tracks I bought more than 6months ago

If I want to listen to a specific track, i dont usually remember the exact date i bought it... So I have to use window's search...
That's why there's the "search" function, to make your life easy. :-)