Question: Female DJ’s are they as good as men?

- open
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

Are female DJs as good as men?

This question is so tired it fell asleep 10 years ago.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

michielwijnen wrote:Think it's a pretty dumb question... Women enough who are good DJ's
and not only that, but musically in general; more then enough women who made their way into musical history...

But anyway, this (funny) video cam across y mind when reading this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZzusNWCbv8
This vid is hilarious. Dancetrippin only shows the crowd for "some" reason :idea:

But yeah - Dinky, Vera, Cassy, Tania Vulcano, Maayan Nidam, Magda, Nina Kraviz & Eli Verveine pop into mind straight away.

I really used to love Gayle San's 3-deck sets around 2003 and so when I listened to that kind of techno, but I have no idea what she's up to these days.

Gayle San:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbAZ-UBk30

Also Kelli Hand must be quite good, but I've never heard any mixes from her. Would be quite funny to see her play b2b with Sneak though :D
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

seriously ?

exactly videos like that is the reason many people think women cant DJ

heres part 3 of this Gayle San Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qwx5iI ... re=related

i watched part 2 and part 3, in there are 3 transitions.
i dont lie when i say i did better transitions after 1 year of DJing.

15 seconds transition goes like that:
new channel fader half up, notice nothing is in sync, try to sync
try to sync ... try to sync ... try to sync - ok it will not be better
new fader full up - old half down - turning to other turntable
try to sync ... try so sync ... try to sync ... old fader down !

i dont know her at all, so i dont want to judge, but posting such videos in an "woman cant DJ" thread as positiv example is kind off counterproductive.

everyone can just play good tracks .. mixing them in a kind of artistic fashion thats what a good DJ is to me.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Hmmm, normally I am inclined to the chauvinistic side of arguments when questions like these crop up but in such gender neutral areas as DJing I would imagine that the proportion of male and female DJs which are good and bad would be the same.

Lets be honest, most women have a much better sense of rhythm than the average man... just look to the closest dance floor. Sadly, most girls I have tried to show how to mix records have outright dismissed the possibility that they may be able to do it. Its not hard. If a drugged out loser can do it then anyone can, lol, ffs. its a cultural stop-block.

That being said... there are certain direction women are not as inclined in. I once had a female chemistry teacher who taught chemistry, physics and biology and she once said much to my surprise that women are not as good at physics... she never had a problem obviously but she recognized as a teacher that it was a deficiency. Strange thing for a woman in her position to say. She was an excellent scientist, her knowledge was superb and there were few questions anyone dreamed up that she could not answer. Strangely enough I have known girls who had top marks in everything but could not perform well in physics. I am told it has something to do with the mechanical mind.

Regardless, anyone who thinks women cannot DJ as well as men is an idiot. If they cite historical fact it is not really valid simply because not many woman DJ. If there were equal data to make a comparison I have little doubt that listener satisfaction would be pretty much equal. Above all, I feel that any DJ who is not in touch with his feminine side is incapable of being a good DJ. you need to be able to truly feel the music. That takes an understanding of humanity.

Besides... unless you are playing at a circuit party full of nothing but male homosexuals then you need to be able to impact the whole crowd.... which includes women. And even then... most of those types of fellas would already be enough in touch with their feminine sides to distinguish a sh!t dj from a good one. heh

Lets be honest, anyone who has been in the military, worked on an oil rig, done construction, forestry, or other types of other manly occupations knows a few things... one, if you have done a really manly job then chances are you know women who have done it too. Second, if you have done any work which is considered truly manly then you know that a DJ's work is that of a bitch, or in a more chauvinistic expression... woman's work. Somewhat akin to office work.

So I wouldn't get very high and mighty about the superiority of man in DJing... it doesn't amount to much.

I am not trying to offend... just saying that you shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Besides, statistically speaking the rarity of female djs would make it seem like there are very few good female DJs. It king of makes the whole exercise irrelevant. Furthermore, real techno folk would see the bigger picture.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I am not sure if I believe in the idea that gender is performative but if it is true then if you are a good DJ then you are already half a women.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

this is a thread about women djs... you can't use male djs as an example
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

tsankip wrote:
michielwijnen wrote:Think it's a pretty dumb question... Women enough who are good DJ's
and not only that, but musically in general; more then enough women who made their way into musical history...

But anyway, this (funny) video cam across y mind when reading this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZzusNWCbv8
This vid is hilarious. Dancetrippin only shows the crowd for "some" reason :idea:

But yeah - Dinky, Vera, Cassy, Tania Vulcano, Maayan Nidam, Magda, Nina Kraviz & Eli Verveine pop into mind straight away.

I really used to love Gayle San's 3-deck sets around 2003 and so when I listened to that kind of techno, but I have no idea what she's up to these days.

Gayle San:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbAZ-UBk30

Also Kelli Hand must be quite good, but I've never heard any mixes from her. Would be quite funny to see her play b2b with Sneak though :D
ha ha ha, I just checked that clip out, it's funny but she does everything I was asking about in my OP, check it out, not the best mixing ha ha ha but a nice looking lass though! Ohhhh sexism!
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

This sums it all up:

If you're a dude and you suck at something, it's just you. If you are female and you suck at something, your entire gender sucks at it.

Seriously. This is dumb. Stop with the dumb.

P.S. If anyone wants to front and say that girls suck at DJing, I'm down to put you in your place on the decks. Any time, any place.